Victoria's Reviews > Spoonbenders

Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory

Psychics, mobsters, G-men and more!

I seem to be on a family drama bender this year, I can’t seem to gulp enough of these down. And with a resolutions hangover that is pushing me to clear the virtual and physical book shelves, I reached in and pulled out this 2017 gem that’s been languishing too long and what a treat it was to meet this zany family.

Meet the most charming con man Teddy Telemachus, his wife, the real deal psychic, Maureen, and their children: Irene the human lie detector, Frankie the telekinetic and Buddy, the clairvoyant, plus the next generation of psychics who can tele-transport and also set things on fire and you’ve got a completely different level of dysfunction. Add in a few unsavory Mafioso and a slew of washed up federal agents and you’ve got a wacky tale that straddles family dynamics with both sensitivity and humor. The novel’s structure adds to its cleverness and delivered to the last word.

This is ultimately a character-driven story that mines the complex relationships within families and does so with a well-written, fast-paced narrative. I grew to love these characters as it’s not all madcap mayhem, there is a downside to every psychic gift and your heart goes out to their humanity. This was a four-plus-star read for me and I will definitely look for more of this author’s work because this is top drawer storytelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoonbenders.

June 22, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
April, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Lovely, and charming review, Victoria, and what a title! Visions of Uri Geller flashed through my mind, of course, but thinking of a family filled with characters like this sounds mindbendingly fun!

Julie Wonderful review, Victoria!! So glad you enjoyed this one!!

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard This sounds good, a new author to me ....... nice review Victoria :)

message 4: by Dean (new)

Dean Wonderful review, Victoria..
Dean;)

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Victoria! This sounds likes a good one!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Oh, you have me checking my shelves to see if I have it languishing, too, Victoria! Brilliant review! You know I love a family drama! ♥️

message 7: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Great review Victoria!! What an interesting title

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This sounds like a fun ride! Great review, Victoria. 😬

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Superb review, Victoria! And a special 'thank you' because this one has been sitting quietly on my eReader for a long time, too, so this was a timely reminder to find a place for it on my reading list! :)

message 10: by JanB (new)

JanB This sounds refreshingly different Victoria. And you know I love character driven tales. Adding to Mt. TBR 😊📚