Rachel's Reviews > The Rules Do Not Apply

The Rules Do Not Apply by Ariel Levy

Aug 02, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, memoir, non-fiction

Ariel Levy’s memoir is about her relationship with her pregnancy and her relationship with her spouse. She wrote a shorter version of this time in her life as an article for The New Yorker and decided to expand it into a book. I picked up this book because David Sedaris recommended it. Whenever he goes on tour he recommends a book that he thinks his fans should read.

I didn’t find Levy very relatable but then again, I have never been in the situations she has. The level of denial she had about her partner’s alcoholism was astounding to me. And it was hard for me not to blame her just a little for choosing to travel to a third world country while pregnant. My heart still ached for her though. Losing a child is just about the worst thing that can happen to a person. I still liked the book – I don’t need to agree with a person to enjoy learning about them and their life and to sympathize with them. Enjoy doesn’t really sound like the right word since this book was so sad but I’m not sure what word to use instead.

The Rules Do Not Apply is the kind of book that would be good to read when you need a good cry. It’s relatively short so you can read it all at once for a cathartic experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules Do Not Apply.

Started Reading