Crowinator's Reviews > Putting Makeup on Dead People

Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: ya, 2011-reads, contemporary, religion-spirituality, a-good-cry, favorites-of-all-time, favorites-2011, books-i-own-not-arcs
Read 2 times. Last read September 22, 2011 to September 23, 2011.

I'm probably the only person that cried over this funny, compassionate book about growing up, discovering yourself, and coping with life after the death of a loved one, but we all know that I am a huge weepy sap, anyway. I love character-driven stories, and while this one doesn't exactly go where I expected (because it is also largely plotless, with a lot of interesting avenues -- mortuary school classes, for example -- left unexplored), it also gave me a satisfying, meaningful experience. I connected with Donna's slightly off sense of humor, her observations of the people around her, and her frequent insights into her own life that still don't result in immediate changes in her thinking or behavior. Donna is confused and sad and hilarious and very real. Violi's writing is expressive and unique, and she does a great job conveying complicated emotional stuff in small, simple ways. There's some really great stuff in here and I can't wait to see what Violi does next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Putting Makeup on Dead People.

Finished Reading
August 30, 2011 – Shelved
August 30, 2011 – Shelved as: ya
September 22, 2011 – Started Reading
September 22, 2011 –
page 63
19.33% "Lots of nice little quirky descriptions for even minor characters so far. I like how Donna thinks."
September 23, 2011 –
page 231
70.86% "I want to be bff with Donna."
September 23, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011-reads