Erin's Reviews > The Imitation of Christ

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: religiousity, forever-loyal
Read from August 30 to November 01, 2011

This is one of the heaviest books I've ever read in the realm of christian thought. Each 1-4 page chapter has to be digested individually (thus the snail's pace taken to get through it) and meditated upon afterwards in order to get the full effect. It's definitely a book to own, as I could easily see how you could read it once a year for the rest of your life and still get something meaningful and enlightening out of it each time.

It just occurred to me to revisit the preface and sure enough I discovered my justification in slow reading pace and heaviness of text:

"We offer a final word about the act of reading these spiritual classics. From the very earliest accounts of monastic practice it is evident that a form of reading called lectio divina was essential to any deliberate spiritual life. This kind of reading is quite different from that of scanning a text for useful facts and bits of information, or advancing along an exciting plot line to a climax in the action. It is, rather, a meditative approach, by which the reader seeks to taste and savor the beauty and truth of every phrase and passage."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imitation of Christ.

09/04/2016 marked as: read