Mara's Reviews > Love Me at Sunset

Love Me at Sunset by Lucinda Whitney

bookshelves: arc-or-for-review, audiobook
Read 2 times. Last read July 18, 2019 to July 22, 2019.

July 2019--I enjoyed this book the second time just as much as I did the first.

This is another great story about the Romano family in Portugal. We met Afonso Cortez in Meet Me at Sunrise (Romano Family #2) part of the Destined for Love: Europe series. Afonso is starting over in a small town as a groundskeeper at Sunset Manor owned by Filipe Romano. He wants to leave his mistakes in the past and not waste the second chance he's been given.

Catarina Romano is also starting over. At first, we only know that she's a young widow hiding out from the paparazzi at Sunset Manor, thanks to her cousin Filipe, and she's not happy that he hired Afonso. She's got quite a few secrets she's not ready to share with anyone, and a lot of guilt from some decisions she made when she was younger.

Afonso really wants to make a fresh start and he's open about the mistakes he's made that sent him to prison. He's a hard worker and a caring person who shows it by his actions. It's in his nature to be kind and thoughtful to those around him. Unlike Afonso, Catarina is closed off, not trusting anyone, even her family, with the secrets that burden her.

Their friendship turned to romance doesn't feel rushed or forced upon the reader. Their story takes place over a 5 month period and feels like a natural progression for people that spend a lot of time together every day. Afonso's kind gestures mean so much to Catarina it made me wonder what had happened in her marriage that she was so affected by something as simple as someone making her breakfast. When she finally unburdens herself you can understand why she was so closed off at the beginning of the book.

I love when she decides to start decorating the mansion. You can almost see her self-esteem grow. I also loved the scene when all the cousins descend upon Sunset Manor--one big supportive family that loved her and had missed her during the years she had been away.

Not everything was smooth sailing for Afonso and Catarina. Although Afonso had left his past behind, it didn't stay there and put them both in peril, but of course the good guys came out on top. There are many Romano cousins which hopefully means more Romano Family stories.

This is a clean romance with moments of mild peril towards the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Me at Sunset.

June 21, 2017 – Shelved
July 18, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
July 18, 2019 –
July 20, 2019 –
July 22, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Lucinda Thank you for the great review, Mara!

Julie Carpenter I'm so glad you liked this one too! Great review Mara!

Mara You're welcome. It's a great story.

Mara Julie wrote: "I'm so glad you liked this one too! Great review Mara!"
I've liked all of Lucinda's books so far.

Julie Carpenter Me too!