Ducky's Reviews > Try Not to Breathe

Try Not to Breathe by Jennifer R. Hubbard

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: thought-provoking, the-dark-side

4.5 stars Ah, this really got under my skin, but it didn't make me cry. I'm still trying to figure that out (I think that I like that I didn't cry. I think that Hubbard's a good writer). Why was there romance? It was nice, but I'd like to think that everything could've been done without it.

It's a touchy subject. You might love it, you might hate it, or you might not even care. I didn't hate it or not care about it, sure, but I'm not sure that I loved it either. It left me feeling hopeless and empty, and I don't think that that was the intended result. It technically left off on a promising note... You know Beethoven's symphonies? (Of course you do, and if you haven't, you've been living under a rock for your entire life.) He always makes it sound like everything is about to end, but then there's always an even more dramatic ending. Sometimes, I want to tell him to just end the stupid thing already -- the unresolved-resolved feeling gets old pretty fast, and the constant anticipation is draining. However annoying those never-ending endings are, though, at least Beethoven ends stuff properly. This story had an unresolved ending -- there was that note leading to the final chord, but no final chord. This made me feel weird inside. Is that a good or bad thing?

I had a song playing on repeat in the background, but I didn't realize that it was until now. Maybe that says something?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Try Not to Breathe.