Aviva's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 30, 2011

I just recently had a conversation with a person about this book. She thought it should be required reading for every high-school senior in the country. I agree that it's important and I cannot say enough good things about this book. But I think the reason it resonates so well is because it's not required reading. The thing I remember about being told I had to read a book was that I never actually did it. And this book should be read. A lot. By many people. It's just so...real. All the characters are completely fleshed out and they're all such real people. I think the sad thing about the book is that, while a lot has changed at least I like to think so, as a person living in the South I can say that a lot is still the same. And it's interesting to see the disconnect between the way people are in public versus the way they are in private. This book perfectly illustrates that idea. Also, the idea that just because your housekeeper doesn't say anything doesn't mean she doesn't have an opinion. I'm not being nearly as eloquent as I want to be, but trust me--get The Help. Get it in hardback. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.