Tara's Reviews > America's First Daughter

America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray

4191989

bookshelves: audiobooks, 2017-read

The Jeffersonian era comes to life in this exhaustive fictional narrative told from the point of view of Martha "Patsy" Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson's oldest daughter. You will learn firsthand accounts of the tension-filled times when Jefferson was running for his life trying to keep his family safe during the Revolution to the streets and ballrooms of Paris when he became a diplomat, to his lifelong love affair with Sally Hemings. Using actual letters that Jefferson, Patsy, and other family and friends wrote during their lives, Dray constructs a shocking narrative that unfolds from one page to the next. I had no idea how paramount of a figure Jefferson was after the birth of our nation and the role that his daughter played during that time. One of my favorite historical fiction novels I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's First Daughter.

June 14, 2017 – Started Reading
June 21, 2017 – Shelved
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
June 21, 2017 –
80.0% "Audiobook version. It's real good....packed with historical events, political name-dropping, 18th-19th century scandals. It offers an incredible peek into the Jefferson family."
June 23, 2017 – Finished Reading