Robyn's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Deon Meyer

Read 2 times. Last read June 15, 2017 to June 21, 2017.

Well. When I first realised that Deon Meyer's new book was a dystopian novel my first thought was: but how can he change his genre of writing? Then my second thought was, how brilliant that he CAN change his genre. That he has the brilliance to write something other than what he has written before. And there is brilliance in this novel.

Set in South Africa after a worldwide viral outbreak where the survivors are few and far between, Nico and his father Willem are driving through the desolate landscape when they come to a stop in a town which is eventually christened Amanzi. Amanzi is their new hope, where together with other survivors of The Fever, they begin to rebuild their lives.

This is the story told from Nico's perspective, and over a five year span. I was swept away into the world Meyer has created and felt both urged to read, and yet also to savour the journey. A believable and courageous story, which I highly recommend. Do not let the fact that this is a South African author, deter you from reading this book. You will regret it if you allow 'prejudices of apartheid' (which was always my one complaint in early SA writing, it was all the same, but I can honestly say, this is not) dictate to you over enjoying this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.

Finished Reading
April 21, 2017 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
April 21, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 15, 2017 – Started Reading