Jennifer (bunnyreads)'s Reviews > The Woven Ring

The Woven Ring by M.D. Presley

bookshelves: 2017, fantasy-crazy-world-building, hidden-gems, bingo-r-fantasy-2017

This couldn’t be any more different than my last read, which was drop you in and hope you keep up….
There was some serious world building going on in this book, and I am pretty sure if you asked the author he could tell you which regions of this world has the best soil for grape growing, if you wanted to start a winery. Just Wow!

So, if you don’t like that sort of in-depth world building then this might not be the book for you. It’s not always my thing, that’s for sure.

But by the end of this book I was impressed. Considering I was not a fan of Marta for a good portion of the story, and when I am sitting through that much world building and not liking the character that much, there must be something else keeping me there.

This story is split, with part being told in the present and part being told in the past, working its way up to a time closer to the Marta, that we see now. This worked quite nicely actually, showing us how Marta became the jaded person she became, but especially for me, it broke up the world building, so even though we were still learning about the place it kept it fresh and new.

And I think that’s part of why I couldn’t quit reading. The double story lines and watching her go from the girl she was to the girl now, was a perfectly paced reveal that had me totally enraptured. There is something just incredibly satisfying about seeing a really well thought out plot come together like this one did.

The world building in this is top-notch, everything from the interesting and very cool magic system, down to how the lights work, is intricately detailed. The author deserves kudos for that alone but then add in that tight plotting and that damned good ending…this almost got five stars from me.

There were a few things that held me back- mostly personal dislikes.

- Until the past and present stories started rolling and we get some side characters in the mix (whom I liked way better than Marta) I was finding it a bit draggy in places.

-I didn’t like the prologue. It was from the pov of a character we never see again (or if we did I never realized). I didn’t think it served any purpose to the rest of the story other than to showcase how the magic works.

-There was a lot of things that I didn’t understand about Marta’s clansman and the childhood games, that were all about subterfuge and survival, when they lived in a mostly civilized environment. It seemed odd to me that their whole clans culture would have such a survival of the fittest attitude. I could have understood better if it was a paranoid power-hungry father teaching his kids to be that way, but it sounded like it was a clan thing.

-Also, Marta seemed to have a built-in anger, that I could appreciate and totally sympathize with in older Marta, but couldn’t quite see the reason for in very young Marta. She came across as a little one-sided because of that and only her times with Oleander seemed to help give her another side. I started really looking forward to those scenes.

But really such minor complaints, in a seriously strong debut. This gets a 4.5 from me.

This might be perfect for you, if you like crazy in-depth world building like Rowe’s Sufficiently Advanced Magic, or Black’s Ninth City Burning, but in a flintlock/civil war style environment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woven Ring.

June 21, 2017 – Shelved
June 27, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy-crazy-world-building
June 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 20, 2017 – Shelved as: hidden-gems
January 15, 2018 – Shelved as: bingo-r-fantasy-2017

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by M.D. (new)

M.D. Presley Thanks for this, Jennifer. It really made my day.

And just so you know, the best grapes soil is slightly inland in East Neider. If you're growing in Soltera that is. Back in the Auld Lands, it's probably between Bance or Ossan. Although I have been hearing good things about Ispan wines these days...

Jennifer (bunnyreads) And just so you know, the best grapes soil....

This wins best reply ever! haha! Well-played sir. ;)

And you're welcome.