N.T. Embe's Reviews > Impossible

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: absolutely-buying
Recommended to N.T. by: Rain Misoa
Recommended for: Everyone, especially YA lovers and people looking for some GREAT characters!!
Read from August 30 to September 28, 2011

Wow, where do I even begin to write the review for this amazing book? This is a story, unlike so many, that fills you upon completion. You feel whole, you feel complete, when you've taken up this book, and have touched the pages, read it through, and finally grasped that tangible end right in your heart and mind. It's a book that I found myself almost surprisingly addicted too! Considering how easy it is to read this book--because Nancy Werlin did an amazing job of writing flawlessly smooth--I was seriously going back to it like it was a crime to put it down. On the train to classes, I would stand there and find my eyes drifting to the seats, thinking to myself before I even realized what was going on that I should "sit down and continue reading." Considering I get motion sickness, this is a BIG thing for me! And yet time and time again, I just gave in. I'm an English major, and with a stack of books waiting to be read, I took this one, thinking I needed a break... and I haven't read a shred of anything else since I picked it up. Considering one of my other classes is about Comics and Graphic Novels, and the other I'm a SUPER DORK for, you would think I'd have some serious competition over mentally what book I should focus on! Nope. It was this book, Impossible all the way.

But first impressions aside (and plenty of rambling), let's get down to the nitty gritty details of things, starting off with the manner in which the book was written. Nancy Werlin is an incredible writer. Reading her book is like floating in the calmest waters, unaware that you're being carried tenderly, gently downstream. It's like breathing, like a cool drink flowing down your throat when you're parched, like the sensation of resting in bed and knowing nothing will disturb you no matter how long you lay there. It's a sensation of such delicious perfection--this smoothness and unfaltering pace in which her book is written--that reading the book becomes a literal addiction. You. Cannot. Put. Down. Her. Book. And considering most pieces of junk written today, this is an honor--an honor--that few are ever, ever given, by myself or the otherwise mentally profound. To read her writing is a delight in and of itself, just to enjoy the mastery she has over mood, the seamless way her words are woven together--the complete surety of her words itself melds fully with the reader from almost the start, so that (at least from my personal experience reading this book) you trust this author to tell you this story, to show you what's right and what's wrong, to lead you through absolutely everything. Nancy Werlin, if I ever rated on individual characteristics of books, you would receive a 5 out of 5 from me on your writing alone. It was spectacular. Your own seamless garment, woven pure.

Coming to another point, I want to more than commend Nancy Werlin on her unbelievable imagination. It's a streak of inspiration to take a piece of old folk poetry and turn it into a concept, an idea. It's a world, a universe away, to take that concept, its origin, and every miniscule difficult detail and fit it in together to create an unfaltering piece of literature many thousands of words longer than the small grain from which it was birthed. Werlin, you took something that people must have enjoyed, mulled over, and even analyzed for years... and you created an entire new child from it. You gave birth to a creation that had its origins here and there, but was nonetheless your own brainchild, and remains wholly and surely your own now that it stands here before the world to judge it. And I know--God do I know...--the strain, the struggles, and the wonders that go into a creation like this, inspired! but your very own. You took the Scarborough Fair poem and you gave it a timeless new meaning almost as profound as the poem itself. That deserves the greatest of congratulations and the sternest of support on my part. You did wonderful, and I have to let you know that. *Smiles warmly* You deserve to.

The last thing I would like to address in Nancy Werlin's book is the characters that she placed in it. My God, I could talk for ages about many of them! Let's begin with the main character, Lucy. For the first part of the book, I had my hard, ready-to-pounce suspicions. I'd been exposed to the YA genre enough to know that books written by women about main female leads usually involved a great deal of... well, to put it literally: Pathetic whores jacking off and rubbing up on anything with a hard enough object to pierce them in all the wrong ways. *Tries to hold back the urge to gag even as she writes the description* Good God, what is wrong with the people who write miserable little fantasies like that and call it a book?! But to get back on track, this very premonition is what trilled in me like a live wire, waiting for the first touch of the sallow waters these normal female leads drowned and lavished themselves in. Instead, I got an honest surprise very soon into the book! And here's the best part, it lasted and kept throughout the entire story. The main character was competent. She had a brain. She was not ready to hump the first male silhouette she saw, whether it be vampire, werewolf, angel (fallen or otherwise), or a trumped up mannequin with a feather duster that would do the trick. I finished reading this book with the sincere peace in my heart that I could enjoy it! And the SOLE reason for that was that the main character was a thinking human being, not a bitch in heat--how literal those words are. Lucy was smart, she was logical, and that carried on not just through schoolwork--which was hardly mentioned, to all you monstrous YA female writers out there--but she had an intelligence that showed through her people skills, the manner in which she handled situations with concern not just for herself, the way she depended on others but didn't throw herself at them like a wuss, thinking she suddenly didn't have to lift a finger and it'd all be okay. She was someone who knew quite well how to give, and how to receive, in the most generous and humane ways possible.

Now I must say, there is more than just Lucy to the story. Lucy was a strong and capable character herself, but it was the shining glory of this book that it had the cast of characters that it did. Lucy's foster parents, Leo and Soledad, were gems. They were realistic as parents: not just acting the role, but living and caring, responding emotionally and mentally--not just fussing or complaining or serving as reminders and authority figures as parents usually do in most stories. In addition, I love how Lucy's best friend, Sarah, who started off as a character that seemed more than a little pathetic in my eyes, redeemed herself and showed her true colors throughout the book. She was a support figure that was often silently there, holding up our lead female even when we weren't consciously thinking about her. Knowing that we didn't have another strand of senseless and miserable (aka, pathetic) drama to cloud up things throughout the main storyline was one of the smartest moves Nancy Werlin could have done with Sarah's character. She truly became a subtle steadying factor that underscored much of our reassurances in the face of our worries throughout the book. Even Miranda, Lucy's real mother who went insane, was a beautiful, sensitive, caring person, and I loved her throughout every single part, even when she was so clearly in trouble.

Perhaps the best character of all though, and I mean this with full sincerity--the best character in this book by far--was Zach Greenfield. He's the boy next door that grew up as Lucy's best friend, and God is he absolutely, jaw-droppingly amazing. He is everything that stands for determination, perseverance, generosity, care, love, humor, affection, kindness, deep feeling, understanding, honor, decisiveness, guidance, gentleness, and... I have to say it again... pure, pure wonder. He is a character with such heart in him, and so much goodness, that he is...

Undeniable.

His inner beauty, his great love, creates from every charming and self-indulging and peevish moment, that might have belonged to a more arrogant or dim-witted man, in him exudes in everything positive. For my anime and videogame fans, he has the same heart, the same soul and spirit in him that Zack Fair from Final Fantasy VII has, that Vash the Stampede from Trigun has, and that no one else! can hold a candle to! That no one else can touch upon! This is a beauty of a kind that is not only irregular, but is almost untouched in any realm--human, real, or created and imagined. There are people that try to mimic it, and there are people that come close, but there's always something missing. There's always something wrong. ...Zach, I feel, is a true Zack type. Honest, courageous in heart, embodying love... embodying love. The greatest, self-sacrificing love--to give one's self wholly to another. And to love them through every torment and vicious falling, through every injury they do to you and through every ugliness they take on. To love them, and do everything within their power to save them. This is what I felt in Zach when I read every part of his. He was more real, more authentic, more tangible and present to me throughout this book than any other character! He was like a living force, and he drove this book in ways that I cannot even begin to explain. His character deserves the best of honors from me, and the greatest appreciation and affection. I loved him. That alone should say enough.

Ah, but since I have gone on such a long tangent, let me endeavor to say a word or two more about our main villain, Mr. Person-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named-Even-Though-Most-Of-Us-Can-Figure-Out-Who-He-Is-From-The-First-Time-He-Enters-The-Scene. *Laughs* That was a task to type! Try saying it! But to comment a little on his behalf, I felt that it was a very interesting take on the main villain (not that there usually is one). Still, he was both always present throughout the book, and yet not. He doesn't claim his villainhood (yes, I'm inventing words now) until almost the very end of the book, and by the time he does, we don't even bat an eyelash because we've known all along from that point on. That's what makes him peculiar. Even though he's the cause of all that's going on in this story, he's perceptively absent from playing an active role in things besides one or two points at the beginning and end of the story. Yet somehow, that adds to his arrogance whenever he does show up on the scene. It's like we're almost infuriated with him because he's detracted from the little time we have to take care of the three tasks in the poem, and all this other chaos! He manages to be a pretty dang good villain, for all that he's so scarce, and that's a considerably surprising outcome--since most villains cannot manage that. But the oppressive evil he instigates on the entire story plays his role for him: it sets the mood and keeps us reminded of his presence. Overall, it was a unique and expertly played move on Nancy Werlin's part to integrate the villain in this manner, and I have only compliments on how she did it. While I felt he may have been lacking a little bit in his physical presence, whenever he did manage to show up and we got to see him interacting, we understood perfectly well just how powerful he was and why it wasn't necessary for him to even be present while everything unfolded. So well done.

As you can tell by the very length of this review, there are many things I had to compliment about it. The story is fantastic, creative, full of rich and engaging characters--and! unlike so many YA novels today--it's realistic, believable, and intelligent. I have only the highest praise to give Nancy Werlin on this book. If I could, I'd give you a higher mark than I have already. <3 Your work was a wonderful experience, and although I took this book from the library, it's one I want in my personal library, for my friends and family to grow up seeing, borrowing and reading. I know it's going to be an honored and excitedly enjoyed addition with many re-reads in the future! Thank you again so much for this story! It's just amazing. For you readers, if you haven't already picked up Nancy Werlin's Impossible, it's time for you to do so now! Go out and buy it! You won't regret it. <3
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impossible.

08/30/2011 page 0
0.0% "I'm really looking forward to this book! Main character aside (sad how they all suck nowadays, isn't it?), I'm really excited to see Zach and the main villain! The villain especially felt really alluring to me when Rain was talking about him. <333 Can't wait to read something GOOD for once! Yay!!" 5 comments
09/24/2011 page 2
1.0% "Whoot! Two pairs of books I love and recognize! YEAH NARNIA!!! And eh, Harry Potter. X3 You cult, you~"
09/24/2011 page 4
1.0% "...even at age 7 you're accusing people of being self-centered? My, weren't you a spoiled child. '_' "Realistic" my ass. What 7 year old is realistic?! Pfft. I don't believe it~"
09/24/2011 page 5
1.0% "Cutting corners even as a child. If you find a magical incantation, you're supposed to read the entire thing, lazy kid. If you REALLY believed in magic, you would have done so. *Snorts* What a sham. Hey, Werlin! Do a better job! Your character has enough inconsistency holes to sink in a puddle."
09/24/2011 page 12
3.0% "*Chuckles* Now that's more like it! I admire a girl who uses her head! And I agree with what she said about pain being a sign that there's something wrong~ *Is a big health nut* In fact, I agree with a lot of the things she's saying about her friend Sarah and this boy she's idiotically crushing over~ *Rolls eyes* But hey, if it's Sarah's choice, fine. Let her ruin her own life. Just keep it to herself. *Snorts*" 4 comments
09/24/2011 page 18
5.0% "*GIGGLES and pulls the book to her cheek* I LIKE HIM ALREADDDYYYYYYYY~~~~! *Of course is talking about Zach* >XD <3333333333"
09/24/2011 page 28
7.0% "My type of man! Learn to work in construction! ;D Band saws and routers, 2x4s and Phillips screwdrivers~ GOOD HARDY STUFF. <3 Man stuff! *Grew up with a father and many uncles who worked in construction; was taught most of the basics and loves it* <333"
09/24/2011 page 32
8.0% "Enter the villain! Cause come on, who else can it be? *Chuckles*"
09/24/2011 page 36
9.0% "You're a dimwit. You keep the secret from your mother and then you expect her to know what's going on. *Rolls eyes* Idiot. And shut you mouth about your mother missing the point. Prom is a big thing for most parents, and your foster mother is concerned about EXACTLY what she should be concerned about! YOU AND A BOY. Ugh. Fricken' idiotic teenagers, thinking they know every damn thing. *Smacks Lucy upside the head*"
09/24/2011 page 40
10.0% "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! LUCE FROM THE BOOK "FARTED" SOMEHOW REAPPEARED AS THE MAIN CHARACTER OF THIS BOOK TOO! NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I THOUGHT I GOT AWAY FROM HER!!! ARHFSIUFGIDSFGDFDF!! *Jumps out a window, off of the tenth story, off of a cliff, into a fault line leading to the fiery depths of the center of the earth*" 4 comments
09/24/2011 page 41
11.0% "Unnecessary information. We don't care what skanky clothes you're wearing, or NOT wearing."
09/24/2011 page 42
11.0% "The dog isn't in an area where he usually patrols. An area that is in HIS territory and thereby a place within his power. Yet the dog's not there... and Monsieur Seeley is. *Quirks a brow* Why doesn't a family used to having a dog constantly around them notice this? It's the first sign that something is wrong when an animal changes its actions abruptly and unexpectedly."
09/24/2011 page 43
11.0% "Huh. Someone's using the manipulation over human emotions to his advantage. I guess we know who our villain's number one competitor and biggest threat is going to be. *Smiles proudly at Zach*"
09/24/2011 page 44
11.0% "...the dog is whimpering and slinking under your bed, and you SHRUG it off? For all your cooing and fussing over your dog, you have no fricken animal communication skills, LUCE. *Twitches at the name use but finds it appropriate nonetheless*" 2 comments
09/24/2011 page 51
13.0% "I don't remember exactly when it started, but Seeley is seriously starting to grate on my nerves. This jerk just inserts himself into everyone's lives and does EXACTLY how he pleases. -_- People like him make me want to pick up my weapons and smirk like a crazed animal, demanding who they think they are and if they can best ME. *Snarls and then holds it back* But. I will wait. Something tells me I may like him yet."
09/24/2011 page 57
15.0% "It's screaming that he's the cause of all this. He knows it. He -knows- it. Can't they SEE that? Can't they?!"
09/25/2011 page 64
17.0% "*Chuckles warmly* Gotta love that commentary of Zach's. Love a man who knows how to judge other men. <3"
09/25/2011 page 71
18.0% "YEAH! Rock on!! Big brother (Heh, we all know that ain't gonna last. ;D And I soooooooo approve! >XD) is on his way to save the night~! 8D Or spoil it. >:D Which I'm even MORE happy about~!!! *Laughs and cheers on Zach!*"
09/25/2011 page 72
19.0% "Oh great. He "left the keys back on the table." ...we all know where this is going to end up. -_-"
09/25/2011 page 73
19.0% ""Oh, you found them?" REALLY?! Hey Luce! *Shouts over to Farted* Your stupidity in "boy" situations is catching on! Your name IS accursed, isn't it? -3- COME ON, LUCY! Don't be a MORON. He had the keys with him the entire time! D:< He just wants to screw you! Why ELSE are you not going to the after-party!!"
09/25/2011 page 74
19.0% "If you don't really want to do something then WHY are you doing it anyway?! If you don't want to get close, wrap your arms around him, and kiss him, then DON'T! There's no shame in NOT doing it! ...and for that... look what happened."
09/25/2011 page 75
20.0% "...well that would piss me off. *Grows frustrated with the thought* ...if that Seeley jerk wasn't some magical bastard, then she could have escaped this!! GAH. It's one of the worst things ever to imagine... *Turns her face away* ...being overpowered and invaded like that. ...freak. Monster...." 6 comments
09/25/2011 page 78
20.0% "God this man is amazing. *Sighs deeply, more out of relief than anything else* Zach is truly the Zack type. Very few people in this world (literary, imagination, realistic or otherwise) can match up to that man. *Nods silently* I believe Zach does. (FFVII fans, I'm talking about Zack Fair.)" 2 comments
09/25/2011 page 80
21.0% "...bastard covered his trail perfectly. Can't intimidate a dead target. Ooh... sly and cunning man. I wonder when Mr. Seeley will step back into the picture. *Eyes gleam brightly* ...because he's got the answers written all over his face. And I know it."
09/25/2011 page 91
24.0% "*Smiles faintly* ...she is admirable. In a gentle way now, compared to how she was before. I think... forgiving him... is one of the greatest things a person can do. I would like her to. *Nods* Especially since I personally know he's innocent, but you know~ X3"
09/26/2011 page 99
26.0% "I believe there's a word missing here: "Lucy, who had been checking email..." Insert a [her] in between "checking email." >_<;; Otherwise, it just reads incorrect."
09/26/2011 page 107
28.0% "*Narrows eyes* Someone's being a creep unnecessarily."
09/26/2011 page 110
29.0% "Come now. The talk of nausea was enough. Morning sickness, duh. She even SAID that the "nausea usually waited until morning" to come. *Rolls eyes* The girl's pregnant. Doubling over with pain at the waist now. Signs, idiot. Signs. And it's her fault for--once again--telling her parents nothing about her nausea. -3- *Sighs* She's almost done with her first trimester, she needs only what? A month more? Geez."
09/26/2011 page 115
30.0% "Now -that-, you horrible YA authoresses! Was a WELL WRITTEN SCENE OF MALE/FEMALE -FRIENDLY- INTERACTION. Just in case you needed reference, since most of you couldn't write a romantic sentence to save your LIVES. Or your brains. Clearly those have been looooong gone. Here's looking at you Stephanie and Lauren! ;D"
09/26/2011 page 120
31.0% "SEELEY'S BACK. AND HE'S DOIN' HIS VOODOO MAGICS AGAIN!"
09/26/2011 page 129
34.0% "Wow. Seeley had picked up the pills. No wonder. Guy probably got her a packet of placebos~"
09/26/2011 page 130
34.0% "What really? The one teenage girl in the universe that wants to do the responsible, humane, caring thing and KEEP her CHILD... and the parents say NO? Okay, so it would stop the curse from continuing. Point granted. NONETHELESS. *Leers* Soledad and Leo just lost a LOT of my respect and admiration for them. I don't respect those who do not let a person take responsibility for their actions, however unplanned."
09/26/2011 page 165
43.0% "Lord of the Rings. <333 Dude, if I had a group of college friends willing to do that with me, I totally would. *Adores the Lord of the Rings trilogy and its prequel, The Hobbit* <333 On another note, first stage for Zach: Denial. It'll be shattered soon."
09/26/2011 page 172
45.0% "Typo: "It was an order, but she didn't* mind." Forgot the "n" there in my printed version."
09/26/2011 page 180
47.0% "*Blinks* Smoothness of entire story go PLAAAAHHHHHCRRRAAASSSSHHHHHHHHBRISGFILDGFDIGFDFDYUFd!!!! What was THAT, Werlin? Hast thine no subtlety! No but seriously. We all saw it developing, but even that leap was a little way too dramatic. I can see "like" and having a major crush on each other. It's kinda had plenty of time to develop and give the girly readers giggle fits over, but really. Too abrupt."
09/26/2011 page 182
47.0% "Okay, as completely unprecedented and poorly done as that was, gotta love the way this woman writes Zach. ...well, besides the whole, "obsessive repetition" and "multitude of unfounded compliments" part. But still! Gotta give the guy credit for being cute while doing it! ...even if it does seem degrading to obsess over a main character that I personally don't find myself falling in love with. She's kinda, there~ XP"
09/26/2011 page 184
48.0% "'_' ...I wish I had "Zach-radar"... Do you realize what a girl would do to have the senses to be able to pick up on Zach-like men in the world? >_> Seriously. Is this something I can buy off of eBay? Cause I'm totally willing to pay. XD"
09/27/2011 page 217
57.0% "*SNORTS and bursts out laughing* Oh my God. XD Zach just totally pulled a Zack. <3333333333"
09/27/2011 page 223
58.0% "Yeah, no, that's totally true love. XD Smacking people is love!!!! <3"
09/28/2011 page 230
60.0% "...I would have said, "Yes!" in a heartbeat. <333"
09/28/2011 page 231
60.0% "NYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! In your FACE, Seeley! *Dances like a crazy wild man!* They're not home cause they're off busy getting HITCHED. *Cackles!* (Okay, total assumption on my part, I know. XD)"
09/28/2011 page 308
80.0% "*Stays silent for a long, long moment... and then a wrenching shudder rumbles upwards through her body and disappears* ...monster."
09/28/2011 page 313
82.0% "Do not deny gut instinct. It's guidance. *Nods softly* ...good job, Zach. You're a smart man."
09/28/2011 page 331
86.0% "Don't do it, Luce. The bastard's as much a liar as the Devil himself. -__-"
09/28/2011 page 331
86.0% "MYNAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Is this where Zach goes, "In your FACE! >8D" ...because that would totally be awesome. <3"
09/28/2011 page 376
98.0% "Page count's off. But: Done~ *Goes to write review*"

Rain Misoa Why, I already did~ *Smirks*

On a serious note, you see what I mean? I love it for its creativity. I have never read a book where a person took a simple poem and made an entire novel out of it. It's amazing, ne? Even with Lucy being stupid at the beginning and me not liking her that much, I was able to tolerate her in the end because I thought Werlin did so wonderfully in writing the novel.

Besides, Zack's in it. Er, I mean Zach. XD God, I love that boy! It's so strange how, even though I claim to despise him, I always succumb to his charms~ *Giggles* I needs me some more of it~

*Slaps self* Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the book. ^_^ It really was unique and different from the other YA novels out in the market. God... all those other ones just blow... this one, though I do know there are some parts that drive me mad (especially towards the beginning of the book), the outcome is just so satisfying, you just can't help but love it! *Swoons*

N.T. Embe It really gets over its irritating points quickly. You fast start to understand that this is nothing like most YA books out there. It had me completely charmed. <3 I was more than happy to have experienced it. ^__^

Rain Misoa Definitely. It's why I am quite taken with the book.

Also... I might be a little biased because I grew up hearing Scarborough Fair... X3

N.T. Embe o.o I never even knew it existed. Although no, the book is absolutely lovely. I really enjoyed the story, the unfolding plot, the characters, and the idea's origins. It was a wonderful success. <3

Rain Misoa Well... I always liked stuff of the old... XP

BUT I CONCUR!!! I was really surprised with how this turned out. I think what I liked most was the wrap-up. Werlin did amazing with how she ended the book. ^_^

N.T. Embe You're an old lady in disguise. <3

And that's what made me feel great too! I even commented on it in my review. I felt completed when the story ended. Even though you know there's got to be much more that happens afterwards, you're still leaving the book feeling that you've accomplished something fulfilling. <3

Rain Misoa That just means I'm more awesome than being a man! >:3

Don't ask...

Ah~ Can you imagine how it would have been like seeing Zach in complete father mode? That would have been awesome to see! XD

N.T. Embe >XD ...at least he'll be better with children than his namesake.

Rain Misoa No kidding! XD