-uht!'s Reviews > The Female Brain

The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine

bookshelves: unfinished

My friend Pam said that her daughter liked to color with crayons. When my son was that age, he never liked to play with crayons. This must mean that male/female brain chemistry is different. When we were cavemen, the ability to create new color was an essential part of female survival.

Okay, that's not a direct quote, but it might as well be. Admittedly, I'm not finished with this book, but I'm sad I ever started (my OCD will make me read the whole thing). Poorly researched and mostly anecdotal "evidence" is how she makes her case.

Too bad. I'm always fascinated by male/female differences and especially fascinated with brain chemistry. I'm reading "I Am America and So Can You" at the same time. While Stephen Colbert comes right out and says that he dictated the book over a weekend and that it contains his opinions, which are Truth, Louann Brizendine makes no such announcement.

Here's a gem from the book: "I almost left aggression out of this book, after being lulled into a warm glow of communicative and social female brain circuits. I was nearly fooled by the female aversion to conflict into thinking that aggression simply wasn't part of our makeup."

Are you kidding me? Just turn on any reality television show 24 hours a day and you'll get as much female aggression as you can handle.

Apparently, the female brain that belongs to Louann Brizendine isn't functioning too well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Female Brain.

April 16, 2008 – Shelved