Kathy Jackson's Reviews > What Lurks Beneath

What Lurks Beneath by Ryan Lockwood

Jun 23, 2017

bookshelves: creature-features
Read from June 20 to 23, 2017

Ah, another story about something lurking in the depths of the ocean.  The story is solid and the author obviously did a lot of research about the area and cave diving.  I would never do it - cave diving, not research.  Just reading about it in this book sent my claustrophobia into overtime.  Just yuck.

I have just one negative comment that is purely one of personal preference.  The author went into such detail about the techno side of things but when it came to the actual attacks, he was vague and lax.  I wanted to read about the struggles the different people put up, I wanted to hear the crack of the various ship hulls as the creature pulled the boats under, I wanted to taste the blood in the water.  I felt kind of robbed.

Sure, in most attacks the people didn't survive - but I still wanted to experience it with them.  Instead it is like: Oh they saw a tentacle rise" and then on to the next chapter where we had to learn in an off-hand conversation or newspaper headline that the boat was unaccounted for or that people were missing.

Having said all that though, it is a decent story and worth the read.  Will I be re-reading it any time soon? Nope, don't think so.  Will I read more from this author? Absolutely.  I give the book a B+.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Lurks Beneath.

06/20 marked as: currently-reading