Estara's Reviews > Bound in Blood

Bound in Blood by P.C. Hodgell

Aug 30, 2011

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011, re-read
Read 2 times. Last read August 30, 2011 to September 1, 2011.

** spoiler alert ** This is the second of Jame in Tentir subplot books and I really like where it goes in making us more aware of the interconnection of Rathillien and the Kencyrath. I really enjoy the characters of Timmon, Gorbel (even when they are a++holes), Brier, for example - but especially commandant Seth and the Bear - Jame seems to have a knack, when she is anywhere for a longer period of time, to find an experienced mentor who can learn to accept her, potential and flaws all. I missed that whith Marcarn staying around Tori (love all the glass crafting bits and pieces - P.C. Hodgell does stained glass art herself, so that's all realistic - apart from the magic bits) and we get more time with the rathorn.

This has the big reveal about how Jame's and Tori's father became what he was to them (a large part of the this happened at Tentir, so that makes even more sense). As always there's the dark danger thread mixed with some fairly grin-worthy slapstick ^^ occasionally ((view spoiler)).

Jame's treatment of Graykin remains a big problem, even when she finally does something about hish situation. He is NOT a loveable character, so it makes her extra guilty that she remains in a position of his bond lord.

It's amazing that the Kencyrath has existed as long as it did, with the way that the Highborn are abusing the Kendar... but I guess one thing that Jame does is show-up (and sometimes rip out) ALL the rottenness at the core. She definitely is a catalyst, not just a nemesis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound in Blood.