Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, favourites, fiction, lgbt, romance, series, young-adult

Well.

I knew I’d enjoy this book. I knew it would be a fun read, intriguing. What I didn’t know was that I would fall in love with 6 diverse characters and didn’t anticipate how much I’d care for each of their stories. Yes, Six of Crows is about a seemingly impossible heist, flooded with of action and adventure. Yet, for me, this is a book about experiences. It’s a story of how certain choices can shape our future, about the impact people can have on our lives.

We read from five out of the six main character’s viewpoints, each of them just as fleshed out as the other. It was amazing to gradually peel back their layers and discover their backstories and individual motivations as to why they’re going ahead with the dangerous heist. I’ve already rhapsodised over how much I love a character-driven novel, and this cast stole my heart.

I can’t put into words how much I adored this book. I admired the badass female leads and how they carried themselves, the jurda crazy Grisha, the will-they-won’t-they tension between Nina and Mathias, the seemingly impossible heist, the comedic spark between Jesper and Wylan, and, of course, the notorious Kaz Brekker.

I also want to mention that I don’t think you necessarily need to have read the Shadow and Bone trilogy beforehand. However, it did provide me with prior knowledge of the Grisha world, and I enjoyed the subtle references to Prince Nikolai and Sankta Alina.

It’s safe to say my 2019 reading year is off to a good start. Six of Crows was dark, rich, and inundated with incredible characters who I’m itching to learn more about. I was so captivated by this beautifully-crafted world. Oh, how I wish I had Bardugo’s imagination to create a plot so completely surprising but so completely believable. Yes, I enjoyed Shadow and Bone, but Six of Crows is on a whole new level.

I’m diving right into Crooked Kingdom and can’t wait to experience more of Bardugo’s magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six of Crows.

June 20, 2017 – Shelved