Katie's Reviews > Once Upon A

Once Upon A by Charlotte E. Hart

Once Upon A (Stained Duet #1) by Charlotte E Hart

5 stars!!!!

Every now and then you find a new author to love and that’s what has happened to me! Once Upon A was a fantastic introduction to Charlotte as an author! My attention was captured from the very beginning of this book and it didn’t waiver even after finishing the book – I cannot wait to see what happens next!

For me there is always a part in a book where I think – oh yes this book just got good and it was when I read this part I got that feeling that I was about to read something amazing.

“You looked so beautiful,” he says, his body rising from the water as he walks forward. He just stops there and looks at me again, his body beginning to lean in until his fingers reach for my face. I can’t move, I’m fixated on his gaze, my mouth still chattering a little as I consider his words. Beautiful when? When I was drowning? And then he just leans in further, his lips coming down to mine slowly, the look of them more inviting than anything has ever been in my life. “Ask me, Alana.”

I really liked Alana and I found her to be a very fascinating character. Her thought processes and how she intended to research for her latest book intrigued me. I found myself asking is this how authors actually research what they are writing. The author wrote in such a way that I completely understood Alana and why she was doing what she was doing. Her depth of character and the development of Alana was fantastic!

Blaine Jacobs – oh this man! What an amazingly complex human being! He was arrogant, controlling and not always nice towards Alana at times but for some reason I just couldn’t stop myself for falling for him! He was hot and cold, he was sexy with an evil sadistic streak but still whenever he said ‘ask me Alana’ I could feel myself melting inside! Is it wrong that I kind of wanted him to ask me?? I loved how his character evolved over the story! It took me a while to work him out and things happened that I definitely didn’t expect but he was just something else entirely!

I don’t think it’s fair not to mention Alana’s best friend Bree – not only was she an amazing secondary character in this story but she provided me with some hilarious laugh out loud moments. I still chuckle at some of them when I think back. Their friendship was so fantastic and they just worked together. We also have Blaine’s friend Delaney (Priest) who was an important character for me in the story as it showed that Blaine was able to maintain some kind of relationship/friendship outside of his lifestyle.

I loved the ending to the story, for me it signalled a huge shift in the relationship between the two main characters and left me guessing as to what will happen next.
I think that the author has written an amazing book that has me now wanting to go and read her other books whilst I eagerly await the final book in this duet. I can’t wait for more Blaine. Thank you Charlotte for bringing him into my life!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon A.

June 20, 2017 – Shelved