Steph's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by Tracy   Goodwin

Cursed is the first book in the Shadow Souls series. At first sight, it seems to be quite a promising paranormal romance series. I must confess, at first, I was a little worried that the plot will fall into a thousand of clichés. After all, a lot of books talk about powerful heroines that fall in love with their guardians. Nothing new there, right? Nevertheless, I am pleased to tell you all that it delivers exactly what it promises and more. The author had some clichés here and there but who doesn’t love classics? Besides I believe she did an awesome job using a general theme people love and making it her very own with some twists here and there.
This novel tells the story of Tessa Egan, a witch that just found out she is one. Honestly, I jumped from surprised to doubtful and back again when I read how she could use her powers with such easiness even when she is just a newbie. I don’t mind geniuses but maybe I got a little jealous of the girl. I don’t believe many people would be able to relate with her if she is made too powerful in such a short amount of time and easy way. Then again, I guess I understand the reasons the author had for her to be the way she is. She was suddenly attached by almost all the supernatural world after just getting her powers. Of course, she would need a lot of strength and an army to defend herself. Too bad she only got two bodyguards, but what bodyguards!
I am amazed by the level of acceptance of Tessa. Honestly, I might now have been as understanding in her situation. Suddenly, everyone wants to kill her because she holds too much power and a little after she is supposed to find out who her soulmate is. Of course, fate had to complicate things even more by sending her two possible candidates and then turn things around to hurt her even more. I must say I was as hurt as our female lead with some of the twists. The again, without them there would be no story to tell.
I will be anxiously waiting for the sequel. Even though several of my questions were answered in this book, some weren’t. Don’t worry, this book doesn’t have a huge cliffhanger, it just indirectly tells you there is much more in Tessa’s story that will be later presented to the reader. I highly recommend this novel to any paranormal romance fans that have a soft spot for dangerous prophecies, forbidden love, capricious fate and a power that has never been seen before.
Reviewer of Romance Authors That Rock
4 ❤
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.

Finished Reading