Helen's Reviews > A Blackbird in Amber

A Blackbird in Amber by Freda Warrington

Jul 10, 2017

bookshelves: fantasy, magic, reviewed, favourites

The third in the Blackbird series jumps 25 years into the future after the events of the first two books. It follows Ashurek and Silvren's daughter Mellorn as she returns to Earth to aid the birth of sorcery. But the Gorethrian Empire has used warped demon sorcery to recover its strength and has returned to invading and enslaving other nations.

My favourite thing about the Blackbird series is the wonderful and well-written cast of characters who have complex relationships and motivations. Main character Mellorn / Melkavesh is a sorceress who sets out with the aim of creating a sorcery school on Earth. Strong willed and charismatic she is a natural leader and draws people to herself.

But she is swayed by her own ego and under the guise of stopping the Gorethrians conquest of other nations, she starts to get swept away with the idea of leading an army and overthrowing the Gorethrian ruler.

I really enjoyed the story. It's well paced and interesting, and makes sense in the context of the original books - it doesn't feel tacked on for the sake of continuing the series. I also love the lush descriptions of the world. They brought it to life for me and I couldn't stop reading. I'm excited to read the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Blackbird in Amber.

June 20, 2017 – Shelved