Jaci Miller's Reviews > The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Read 2 times

"Spoilers"

This was my first experience with Neil Gaiman and I have to say an overly enjoyable one. I loved this book; the story, the characters, the whimsical darkness. Gaiman's prose, though simple, was thoughtful and deliberate, portraying the vast difference between a child's unobstructed, vivid imagination and that of the jaded adult.

His portrayal of the maiden, mother, and crone were insightful and creative, and I loved how he made each a strong female without the need for a male counterpart. He also crafted a narrator that was so likable and interesting that it was not until after I had finished the book that I realized he never gave him a name - brilliant! Another testament to Gaiman's superb writing.

Gaiman delivered a wonderful dark fantasy, full of creativity, characters readers can easily become invested in, and an ending that leaves you both sad and hopeful. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a book that I will definitely read again!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Finished Reading
June 12, 2017 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 12, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 12, 2017 –
page 53
27.18% (Paperback Edition)
June 14, 2017 –
page 95
48.72% "40 pages before bed last night - I had a hard time putting it down!" (Paperback Edition)
June 15, 2017 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 19, 2017 – Shelved