Jaci Miller's Reviews > Retribution Falls

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

Captain Darian Frey "what a jerk" was my initial reaction toward the main protagonist in this fun steampunk fantasy set in a world of sky pirates, a cutthroat privileged class, and a nefarious religious sect. Although Frey deserved what he got in the beginning of the book his character arc throughout propelled him from jerk, to anti-hero, to a sympathetic rogue that you want to cheer for by the end of the book. If fact, all Wooding's characters - the entire rag-tag crew of the Ketty Jay, the jilted women Frey has wronged, and those that want to see Frey disposed of, are all interesting and well-written characters.

The main characters all are deeply flawed, with both positive and negative traits but Wooding has captured their essence in a way that creates three-dimensional characters that are interesting and worthwhile. He also feeds their backstories into the story in a way that keeps you flipping pages to find answers.

Wooding's world-building creates dynamic and entrancing settings, some of which were characters all on their own. As a visual reader, I appreciated his attention to detail and his descriptive nature when it came to his world-building as it ignited my senses and I was able to fully realize these places in my head. I could literally smell the stench of sweat, booze, mold, and sludge-filled water that was the town of Retribution Falls.

I also appreciated how character, towns, aircraft, objects, all had names that 'fit' with the steampunk environment - Century Knights, Delirium Trigger, ArchDuke, Hookhollows, Coalition Navy - everything just seemed to fit.

I have never read anything quite like this and have never seen Firefly (which apparently this is representative of), so therefore have no preconceptions or any reference base on which to base my review. Therefore, I will just say that I really enjoyed this book, it was a fun, exciting, and entertaining read that got better as it went along and ended up satisfying both my curiosity and my love of immersing myself in a book that provides an 'other' world escape.

If you are looking for something different, or enjoy a book filled with characters that seemingly only have bad luck (deserved or not), then I highly recommend Retribution Falls. I will definitely be continuing on with the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution Falls.

June 19, 2017 – Shelved