Mommacat's Reviews > Halloween Carnival Volume 1

Halloween Carnival Volume 1 by Brian James Freeman

bookshelves: anthology, halloween, horror, try-it-good-stuff

Are you as big a fan of Halloween as I am? I'm constantly on the lookout for new stories about my favorite holiday. Well, now we have a new reason to look forward to this upcoming October. Brian James Freeman and Hydra Books have a new anthology series coming out every week in Oct 2017. It doesn't get much better than that!

Book One starts us off with Robert McCammon's short but sweet story from 2012 entitled STRANGE CANDY. This is a perfectly written story for Halloween and will have you sobbing into your Snickers bars,

Kevin Lucia brings us another Clifton Heights story called THE RAGE OF ACHILLES or WHEN MOCKINGBIRDS SING. Kevin is also one of the editors at Cemetery Dance; I wish he wasn't so busy there. He needs more time to write. I love Clifton Heights and want to visit everyone. In this story, we learn about a young boy who is different from others. I actually don't recall if he used the word, but I think the child was autistic. It was one heck of a Halloween story.

DEMON AIR by John Little had to have it's roots while the author was in flight. There are so many bad stories about airlines now, why not enjoy another about a girl who is traveling to her ancestral homeland to learn about her roots.

Lisa Morton provided LA HACIENDA DE LOS MUERTOS: a story about cowboy movie being filmed south of the border at Halloween. This has a fine twist of an ending. I would expect no less from Ms. Morton.

Finally, the piece de resistance. The novella length #MakeHalloweenScaryAgain by Mark Allan Gunnells. This was a wonderfully twisted tale by an author I'll need to check out. A serial killer is on the loose apparently because of a Facebook post.

This is a solid 5 star anthology and I'm very grateful to Hydra Books for letting me have an advance copy to review. I highly recommend HALLOWEEN CARNIVAL VOLUME 1 and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halloween Carnival Volume 1.

Started Reading