Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

32067918

bookshelves: ala2018

Read my ALA AC 2018 ARC

The follow-up to The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue has all the charm and wonder of the first book: A main character figuring themselves out, a trusty sidekick challenging them every step of the way, and a brief venture into historical fantasy in the end. Felicity's story follows a similar beat to Monty's: She has a very specific goal, but needs to pull her head out of her ass if she's going to become the person she needs to be.

I really loved how this book addresses and challenges the "not like other girls" trope that I would have desperately needed as a teenager. Having Johanna be Felicity's foil was such a smart decision. She's also smart and capable, but her liking of "girly" things does nothing to undermine that. It's such a great arc which makes the girls' friendship that much stronger.

In terms of the storytelling, this book had a lot more focus and for that, it felt shorter. I, for one, liked the greater focused because of how much more powerful it made Felicity as a character.

Many petticoats, much piracy, and a very good dog abound in this sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy.

June 19, 2017 – Shelved
June 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
September 29, 2018 – Started Reading
September 29, 2018 –
page 112
24.89% "I love Felicity's narration. She's so snarky. It's incredible."
September 30, 2018 –
page 157
34.89% "HOW IS FELICITY A BIGGER MESS THAN MONTY?"
September 30, 2018 –
page 222
October 1, 2018 –
page 268
59.56% "I really, really like the challenge to Felicity's "not like other girls" attitude. Shithead 16-year-old me would've needed to read this."
October 1, 2018 –
page 322
October 2, 2018 –
page 369
82.0% "I really like how this book has one consistent villain."
October 2, 2018 – Finished Reading