Suzanne 's Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

bookshelves: favourites-2011, mythology

This was a re-read, but as I didn't write a review the first time around, I decided I would write one now.

I needed to re-read this to refresh my memory for reading Dreamless and I was really surprised by how much I had forgotten. But I do remember that I loved it the first time around and I loved it just as much this time.

Helen lives on the small island of Nantucket with her dad. Her mother deserted them when she was a baby. Helen finds the island boring and longs for college when she can get away to the mainland.

All that changes when the Delos family move from Spain to Nantucket. It is all the people on the island can talk about but Helen has no interest whatsoever and is getting fed up listening to people going on about them.

But the first time Helen sets eyes on Lucas Delos, the hottest of all the Delos guys, in the corridor at school, she feels so much hate and anger towards him that she attacks him, wanting to kill him.

But sometimes, love is stronger than hate.........

This book is based around Greek mythology. I remember being slightly confused at times the first time I read this but this time, already having some idea as to what was going on, I think I picked up things that I missed first time around.

I was totally captivated by this book again. I didn't want to put it down. It has a great cast of characters who are all extremely well written and relateable. I was wary of the Delos family at the beginning but I quickly warmed to them. Except for Hector, but by the end, he was one of my favourites.

Claire and Matt were great as the best friends. Always looking out for Claire and there when she needed them. And Zach, he is kind of like the "bitchy girl" of the story. Helen thinks he is trying to blackmail her at one point. I am interested to see his part in the next book, Dreamless.

And Daphne, I really didn't take to her. I did not trust her one bit. And poor Jerry. I felt really bad for him most of the time. He is a great dad to Helen and they have a great relationship. I just didn't understand why she would tell her friends her secret and not tell her dad.

Helen herself is a really likeable character and she grows a lot in this book. With the introduction of the Delos family, her life is changed forever. But she deals with it really well, until Daphne arrives with information that changes things for Helen and Lucas. I really liked Lucas. He is incredibly hot but he is crazy about Helen. I enjoyed their relationship and how they went from hating each other to loving each other and trying to deal with the fact that they could never be together.

I cannot wait to read Dreamless and I am extremely lucky to have a copy on hand that I received from Pan Macmillan for review. Keep an eye out for my review around the UK release date of the 5th July 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Josephine Angelini
“I only have so much willpower, Helen," he whispered. "And since you apparently sleep in the most ridiculously transparent tank top I've ever seen, I'm going to have to ask you to get under the covers before I do something stupid.”
Josephine Angelini, Starcrossed

April 23, 2012 –
page 457
January 2, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites-2011
March 18, 2013 – Shelved as: mythology

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Sylvia Good idea LOL

Jody Good you can refresh mine for me :P

Sylvia LOL just read Annie's review...I just did I remembered everything LOL

Jody Will do!

★Ruth★ I loved that book when is the new one out..June? I'll need to do a refresher too.

Sylvia Towards the end of May

★Ruth★ God May is gonna be an expensive month!!!

Sylvia Lol oh I know it's crazy nuts