Nina's Reviews > Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures

Harry Potter's Bookshelf by John Granger

liked it

I heard about John Granger from various podcasts about Harry Potter. I was delighted to know that there was so much more to the Harry Potter story than I originally thought. I was not a fan of mythology or philosophy so was thrilled Granger introduced me to the deeper meanings of Harry Potter. I figured his books would be good.

However, Harry Potter's bookshelves did not give me the thrill I got from listening to John Granger in podcasts. The bookshelves did introduce me to a world of what British people read in their youth. Obviously, those books were not part of an American youth's bookshelf. Americans did not read fictions about rich kids going to British boarding schools or books by E. Nesbit or delved into alchemy. This made me glad I wasn't British.

Then his books, of course, rambled on to parallels between Harry Potter and the Good Book... with Harry Potter being a Christ-like figure.

Although I wasn't a fan of this book, I may try others or listen to his old podcasts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter's Bookshelf.

June 18, 2017 – Started Reading