Linzi's Reviews > Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America

Pawnee by Leslie Knope

2074994

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read June 18, 2017 to June 25, 2017.

I consider myself to be a Parks and Recreation super fan. I've watched the series from start to finish an embarrassing number of times. I know more trivia about it than anyone should. I'm an avid meme collector and I participate in numerous Facebook groups so that I can discuss my love of the show. How it took me until now to read the book about Pawnee as a show tie-in, I do not know.

I finally picked up the book this year from Amazon from a birthday gift card. I have to say that I was both over and underwhelmed. The book is definitely a history of Pawnee as written through the voices of the stars of the show. Unfortunately, a lot of the charm is lost in the over-explanation of things and countless anecdotal footnotes. I was also a little disappointed to find that there wasn't a list of the names of the parks in Pawnee. Unless there was…and I missed it.

I don't know what I expected of this book. I anticipated laughing out loud at the silliness of Leslie and her friends I guess. One incredibly creative thing were the ads at the end of the book. "Real" ads for Pawnee businesses take up the last twenty to thirty pages of the book and showcase the talent of the writing team.

While I didn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to, it did make me miss Pawnee and the Parks and Rec gang. I think it might be time from another re-watch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pawnee.

Finished Reading