Hadrian's Reviews > Critique and Conviction: Conversations with Francois Azouvi and Marc de Launay

Critique and Conviction by Paul Ricœur

bookshelves: biography-memoir, nonfiction, philosophy, french

I read this volume, a series of eight interviews between Ricoeur and two intermediaries, as an introduction to his life and work. These studies are first personal, but also thematic - they cover Ricoeur's life from a 'WWI orphan' through his intellectual career in the United States and France, and the political turmoil of the mid-20th century.

The thematic interviews cover much of Ricoeur's own work, ranging from his appreciation of aesthetics to religion and psychoanalysis. The form of dialogue is fitting, as it mirrors his own attempts to bridge different approaches within schools of thought.

On one last note, I find it amazing that Ricoeur considers his own works, such as the three-volume 'Time and Narrative', which covers fiction between Dante and Virginia Woolf, to be 'limited in scope'.

I now feel less bewildered than when I had first heard explanations of his ideas, though I cannot call myself an expert in any sense. Still, this volume is much more accessible than his other works, and I personally found it to be an excellent place to begin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Critique and Conviction.

Started Reading