Charity's Reviews > Memory's Last Breath: Field Notes on My Dementia

Memory's Last Breath by Gerda  Saunders

In this memoir, Saunders delves deep into her experiences with dementia and the effect its progression has on her loved ones, on her memory, on her daily activities, and on her sense of self. Combining personal recollections from her life (and examples of how she's attempted to resolve her own uncertainty about the veracity of these memories),"field notes" about her daily experiences with the symptoms of dementia, and detailed information about the brain anatomy and physiology as they relate to learning and memory, Saunders brings us along on her journey.

For the most part, it's a journey I enjoyed traveling with her, and not just because I enjoy reading about Salt Lake City, a place I love and once, for a short time, called home. There were a couple of sections that I found tedious, like the email back-and-forth with her siblings, but that might have been the result of the format of that particular section not translating well into audio. Similarly, I learned during the acknowledgements that there are photos and illustrations throughout the book that I missed listening to the audiobook. I'll have to pick up the hardcopy and see what I'm missing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memory's Last Breath.

June 18, 2017 – Shelved