Ape's Reviews > Carter Beats the Devil

Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

3091902
Aug 29, 2011

Read from September 02 to 08, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This is a very hefty book at around 560 pages, which sadly makes it a bit offputting for reading. As I was going to be sitting on so many trains and planes this week, I thought it would be a good opportunity to read it. And it has been such a cracking read. I'm glad it's such a long book as I enjoyed it, but at the same time I think it's a shame, as it will probably be a factor that puts people off reading it.I don't really know anything about magicians in the 1910s/1920s, so I can't say how close to the truth it is, but for me it felt very real. This guy has clearly done his research. It says on the back of the book that it's a fictionalised version of Carter the Great's life. If it's even half way to the truth, what an interesting life he had! This whole age of discovery and entertainment seems like a foreign land now almost, and it's sad we don't have it in a way. I supposed we see the thing that will bring about its demise appearing in this book - the television.The characters are just brilliant. They're all slightly mad, which makes them great in my book, which makes the whole thing equally plot and character driven. It is just a great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carter Beats the Devil.