Samantha (WLABB)'s Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

bookshelves: 2018, arcs, contemporary, ya, 2018-debuts

Rating: 3.5 Stars

I am always up for a good grief and loss book, and The Midnights absolutely fit the bill. It was filled with the pain we associate with losing a loved one, and the ways one may go about trying to fill the hole left in their heart.

•Pro: Smetana beautifully depicted the emotional pain experienced by the characters in this book. The grief and suffering was utterly palpable.

•Con: I know it's realistic for some people to spin a little out of control when they are grieving, but I had such a hard time with the choices Susannah was making.

•Pro: The music references were so awesome. I really loved being pulled into Susannah's musical world, and I was truly fascinated by her songwriting process, her performances, and the bands who influenced her life.

•Con: The book was kind of long, and had some parts, which didn't really seem necessary to the story.

•Pro: I have been keeping track of where books are set, and it seems like a ton of books are set in California. However, I really thought Smetana's approach to describing the setting was different and interesting. She often focused on the weather elements, and connected them to the musical elements, which was different and a welcomed surprise.

•Pro: The Midnight sessions Susannah shared with her father were quite special, and I thought it was brilliant the way these different "midnights" kept popping up throughout the story.

•Pro: I had quite a fondness for Susannah's grandmother. She was a tough lady, but she was wise, and I really appreciated the way she tried to help Susannah see things from a different angle.

•Pro: I was really proud of Susannah towards the end, and loved that she grew up a bit over the course of the story as she healed.

Overall: An emotional and affecting look at one teen's struggle with grief, and her attempt to move on.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

June 17, 2017 – Shelved