C.G. Drews's Reviews > It Looks Like This

It Looks Like This by Rafi Mittlefehldt

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, read-2018

This was really hard to read and reviewing is pretty much impossible??? So I'm just going to muddle along here and not go into too much detail. But it was really really depressing. And even though there are pinpricks of light at the end, it was overall just so sad I actually felt my stomach drop out at one stage. I'm in no way saying these kind of stories aren't important. They are. And this is gay #ownvoices and minority authors should and can tell the stories that are hard and bitter and devastating. But yeah...just go in prepared. I'm so sad right now finishing this and such a mess.

It is still a good book though! I know I'm making it sound bad, but it's sad, not bad. I felt for Mike a lot and I loved his little sister Toby and the story handled the tension and build up so so well.

BRIEF LIST OF WHAT IT CONTAINS:
• it's about a 14yo gay closeted kid
• how religion negatively impacts them
• micro-aggressive dad who would rather not see his son than have him be gay
• just a super sweet kid who draws and is trying to figure out the world
• there's some conversion therapy camp scenes (this was so gross)
• Sean is the purest light of the world and deserved so much better
some such such such powerful lines about anyone who doesn't love you, who abuses you, who neglects you, or says you'er worthless --> THEY are the problem. It is never you.

Anyway the world can be so shitty but it is never fully hopeless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It Looks Like This.

June 17, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 17, 2017 – Shelved
March 13, 2018 – Started Reading
March 13, 2018 –
page 135
40.18% "I love how I decide to read a few chapters before bed to wind down and then BOOM IT'S HALF A BOOK LATER AND I'M KEYED UP AND STRESSED."
March 13, 2018 –
page 251
74.7% "oh wow this book has suddenly made me feel so ill. I'm glad it's #ownvoices telling this type of story but omg. the world is so shitty sometimes"
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
March 13, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
March 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva Sounds really good but definitely not for me because I can't take these heavy queer stories. :( Too close to home.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna That sounds really, really sad :( I am glad there are books like this out there though, because this still happens to kids and it's terrible. I hate that conversion therapy is still legal in some states here in the US.

message 3: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Brianna: Yeah I totally get that. :/ I knew it was going to be sad, but I didn't realise it'd hit so so hard...like the protagonist is 14 for most of the books. I can't even. He's 14 and his parents want to "cure" him.

@Katie: Exactly! And I think an author who is actually queer is the perfect voice to tell this story too. I guess it's out here to tell kids they're not alone which is SO important. The whole conversion therapy makes me feel ill ugh.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Brianna: Yeah I totally get that. :/ I knew it was going to be sad, but I didn't realise it'd hit so so hard...like the protagonist is 14 for most of the books. I can't even. He's 14 and his paren..."

Absolutely. Like if you've been forced into that situation, this book can show you you're not alone . . . One day, I hope we'll live in a world where we won't NEED stories like this in the same way, because people won't still be suffering this abuse.

message 5: by Bee (new)

Bee I won't read this book because it doesn't sound like something I can handle emotionally. :(

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva I guess I didn't think about it that way, @Katie... it could be helpful for kids who are in this kind of situation. :(((

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna Brianna wrote: "I guess I didn't think about it that way, @Katie... it could be helpful for kids who are in this kind of situation. :((("

Which is so sad :(

I guess I was thinking that because, like, sometimes stories about suicide help me deal with the fact that I've seen people I love attempt suicide. It's AWFUL, and I wish nobody was ever in that situation; but if you're there, sometimes you feel better when a book or movie shows you you're not alone.

message 8: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews Yes, I totally agree, Katie. There's a place for sad/depressing stories, especially when the narrators give voice some of our own personal fears. It's validation and can so so help. (Doubly good when it's actually a writer telling stories in their own minority.) It just is forever going to suck that we need these books. I hate with every inch of my soul that kids go through what the boys in this book went through.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "Yes, I totally agree, Katie. There's a place for sad/depressing stories, especially when the narrators give voice some of our own personal fears. It's validation and can so so help. (Doubly good wh..."

Me too :-/ It's really, really terrible.

message 10: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva I don't know if either of you were aware, but there are actually two movies coming out this year about this topic, both based on books I've read. They shouldn't be TOO heavy, and they're really important so I'm glad they're reaching the big screen. 💙 One is based on a true story (memoir) called Boy Erased. The other is fiction, based on a literary YA book called The Miseducation of Cameron Post. I'm looking forward to seeing and supporting both of them, and I hope they help bring thus conversation more to the front of public awareness. :(

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie Hanna Brianna wrote: "I don't know if either of you were aware, but there are actually two movies coming out this year about this topic, both based on books I've read. They shouldn't be TOO heavy, and they're really imp..."

I know I've heard of the second one, and I think I've heard of the first one? I am glad that they'll be available, too <3

message 12: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews I didn't know about Boy Erased but I did know about Cameron Post! I still need to read that book, but I do want to see the movie.

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva It's good 😊

message 14: by iz (new) - added it

iz Yeah I just finished this and it broke my heart. I knew it would be sad from your review but just... Wow. It makes me realize what a privileged position I'm in, and how I should use that position to help others.

Melissa @Brianna I loved this book specifically because I could connect with Miles in terms of being closeted and having homophobic parents. And it’s true this is a sad book but I find it eye-opening to real problems members of the LGBT community face. Take for instance LGBT people fleeing Tanzania, because it just isn’t safe, or the two lesbians who got attacked on public transport in London for not kissing for entertainment, this year more than others since Stonewall has been so terrible for the LGBT community and you can really see and feel the troubles individuals in the community face. And whether we like it or not conversion therapy is legal in more places than it is illegal.