Anna's Reviews > Naondel

Naondel by Maria Turtschaninoff

19976423

bookshelves: the-ones-i-own, of-coverly-love, the-book-buying-ban-2017, feminism-for-all

description

Let me just preface this with a little note on Maresi, the first book in this series.
Maresi was a pleasant read that touched briefly on how terrible it can be to be a woman, but over all was a positive book with a really uplifting vibe. Woman escaped bad situations to come and live freely on an island that let them work and learn in a safe haven that men couldn't access. It was a nice coming-of-age tale about sisterhood and the potential that a woman can have if she's given opportunity.

This left me completely unprepared for the onslaught of miserable realism that was Naondel.
Noandel is the prequel to Maresi, following different characters completely, and though you should read Maresi first, Naondel really, really makes the positive flavor of Maresi so much more precious.

Naondel follows 7 women who all, for one reason or another, end up living in the harem of a powerful and really, truly awful man. The book spans over 40 years and follows all the woman that are affected by this one man as he grows to take over and conquer all the lands around him.
It's depressing and enraging and heart wrenching to read, but I found myself becoming so invested in these women who all came from different places, and had different talents, and found camaraderie with each other because of the suffering caused by one man.

I always think that the "best" kind of bad guys are the ones who are rooted in truth, and though Iskan was a man imbued with powers from a spring, he was one of the most realistic antagonists I've ever read. All the evil things he did had nothing to do with the power he had and had everything to do with the fact that he was a powerful man.
Everything he pursued was a means to gain more power and more ways to make himself feel larger by belittling those around him. Woman were collectables that he could choose from to suit his mood.
For years it followed these woman who had nothing to fight for and nothing to fight with until they found each other. All you wanted by the end of the book was just a little bit of happiness for them, so Maresi isn't really complete without Naondel, but neither is Noandel without Maresi even though it follows different women.
Naondel is the story of the suffering behind the hard-won positivity of Maresi and the legacy left behind by the women who fought back for a future, and boy does it make you want to cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naondel.

June 16, 2017 – Shelved
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: the-ones-i-own
June 21, 2017 – Shelved as: of-coverly-love
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: the-book-buying-ban-2017
October 18, 2017 – Started Reading
October 21, 2017 –
page 92
19.17% "Jiminy Crickets this is depressing..."
October 22, 2017 –
page 202
42.08% "Yup.
Still depressing."
October 23, 2017 –
page 274
57.08% "This is such a beautiful mix of reality and fantasy. I've never read anything quite like this.
It's tragic in its reality though."
October 25, 2017 – Shelved as: feminism-for-all