Pouting Always's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Jodi Picoult

liked it

Ruth has recently enrolled in Dalton, a school she couldn't otherwise afford and which is miles apart from her old school in Harlem. Despite her intelligence, Ruth finds it hard to gain acceptance from her peers due to her race and must learn to deal with the exclusion she now faces at school while still ensuring her mother think she's doing well. A short novella meant to introduce a character in Jodi Picoult's novel that came out around the same time. I havent read the novel so that might be why but I didn't really enjoy the novella. It felt like pointless and I'm sure that's only because I don't have the context of the book to fit it into. I liked the writing and the idea but it just ended abruptly and I felt like it was too short to really go anywhere. I'll give the book itself a try and then see, it might just be because it's meant to introduce a character from the book and not really stand alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.

June 16, 2017 – Started Reading
June 16, 2017 – Shelved
July 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Rich (new)

Rich Uh oh. I am sad when I see a poor rated Jodi Picoult book:(

Pouting Always Rich wrote: "Uh oh. I am sad when I see a poor rated Jodi Picoult book:("

Aw it's only a short story and I'm sure the book would be much better because I think the whole point of this novella was to get people to read the novel

message 3: by Carla Remy (new)

Carla Remy I really like Picoult - well, I've read just two books by her - but they were all about having children and being a mother. I can't relate and I find it boring. So will she have a book that's not about having kids? Cool.

message 4: by Pouting (last edited Jul 16, 2017 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pouting Always Carla Remy wrote: "I really like Picoult - well, I've read just two books by her - but they were all about having children and being a mother. I can't relate and I find it boring. So will she have a book that's not a..."

Now that you mention it I don't think there are any books by her without some sort of parental and child interaction but The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, and The Storyteller don't focus entirely on that if I remember correctly.

message 5: by Choko (new)

Choko Great review, Pouting 🙂

Pouting Always Choko wrote: "Great review, Pouting 🙂"

Thanks Choko <3

message 7: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Fab review, Pouting! 💛

Pouting Always Nazanin wrote: "Fab review, Pouting! 💛"

Thanks Nazanin

message 9: by David (new)

David R. Dowdy Great review. Books and authors can be inscrutable.

Pouting Always David wrote: "Great review. Books and authors can be inscrutable."

Thanks David, truly they can be.

Kelli I feel the same.

Pouting Always Kelli wrote: "I feel the same."

Ayeee