Elena May's Reviews > Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

57120721

bookshelves: hugo-2017-novella

FOR THE WICKED

Best dedication ever! This creepy little novella is stunning and absolutely unforgettable!

Children have always found doorways into different words – rabbit holes, wardrobes, magic mirrors... But what happens to the children who come back? Read this book to find out!

The story touches on so many topics. What is home? What is it like to be different and misunderstood, and how does it feel like to finally find others who understand you? And, most of all, what happens when well-meaning parents make decisions for their kids and try to force them into the image of the perfect daughter or son, instead of listening to them and respecting them as people in their own right?

The story is beautifully written, and the different worlds and characters come to life. We have worlds of candies, princesses, rainbows and unicorns, and worlds of the dead, blood, skeletons, and creepy doctors. And the kids coming from all these words need to somehow get along. I’d love find out more about them all! I’ve seen readers complain that the murder mystery is predictable, and I have to admit I agree, but it didn’t bother me at all. I feel the story wasn’t about the mystery – it was about everything else!

The funny thing is, I didn’t particularly want to visit any of these worlds... and that’s great! Yes, you heard me right. It’s great, because I could still understand why the characters want to live there. I could still see what appeals to them and how those worlds would make them feel like home. And that’s the entire point – people have different interests, values, goals, things that make them happy, and all of them are valid.

Side note: I’m currently trying to get through all the Hugo nominees before the voting deadline. If all books are as enjoyable as this one, it won’t be any trouble at all!

Oooh, oooh, and the book included a few sample chapters from the sequel! It’s about Jack and Jill, who are my favorites (they come from one of the creepy worlds.) And it was published a few days ago! Argh, unfortunately I’ve decided to read only Hugo nominees before the voting deadline, so it will have to wait. Let’s see how long my resolve lasts.

Let’s end with a beautiful quote, back on the subject of parents trying to force their children into an idealized image:

You’re nobody’s rainbow.

You’re nobody’s princess.

You’re nobody’s doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.

I know, not exactly groundbreaking, but it’s really sweet and tear-jerking in context. Can’t say more or I’ll spoil it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Heart a Doorway.

June 16, 2017 – Started Reading