Amy's Reviews > The Last of the Mohicans

The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

Aug 28, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 1993

I read this book in college and found it very interesting. I had seen the movie Last of the Mohicans (the 90's version with Daniel Day Lewis) with the R-rated stuff edited out. I wanted to read the original.

The feel for the history was amazing. The violence in the book was every bit as graphic as the movie and possibly more. The attitude toward the Native Americans was not PC by our modern sensibilities. It showed the dichotomy between the view of Native Americans as being brutal and uncivilized and the opposite stereotype that they were noble savages, but still destined to die out.

The reason why I give it 3 stars instead of 4 is because I was seriously irritated by the view of women, despite the fact that it was probably historically accurate as to the way people thought of women. The female characters could not be mentioned without being called "the weak ones" or "the fair ones." It got old after awhile. I could have probably skimmed over it except that the author kept saying it over and over. I felt like it made the writing less amazing to be so repetitive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Mohicans.