Daniel Moss's Reviews > Science, Technology, and Government

Science, Technology, and Government by Murray N. Rothbard

bookshelves: economics, politics

In this book, Rothbard, who typically just tells the government to go kill themselves, I think makes a mistake by trying to be gracious and offer the government a way in which it can cooperate with the free market. One quick example of where I think he's ultimately wrong is the case where he says that government should never be in the production of military goods but rather the government should contract with private entities who can produce goods for the government. Although this might be better than the alternative (i.e., the government producing the goods on their own), it, at least in my mind, still leaves in place the issue of the government changing the incentive structure of the market by incentivizing the adherence of government decrees rather than serving the consumer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Science, Technology, and Government.

June 15, 2017 – Started Reading
June 15, 2017 – Shelved
June 17, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 28, 2017 – Shelved as: economics
August 28, 2017 – Shelved as: politics

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alex I think Rothbard was trying to stay low-key here. Maybe for tactical reasons, so policymakers wouldn't feel threatened by this book. Not that it did much good, sadly.

Daniel Moss Alex wrote: "I think Rothbard was trying to stay low-key here. Maybe for tactical reasons, so policymakers wouldn't feel threatened by this book. Not that it did much good, sadly."

I hear ya. It was just odd that he took that route since he knew better than everyone else that such a method would ultimately unravel into more and more government. The rest of the book, from his points about how to increase the number of scientists, to his comparisons with Russia, were stellar.