Jaymie's Reviews > Mai Tais and Murder

Mai Tais and Murder by J.C.  Long

Jun 16, 2017

bookshelves: arc, bayoubookjunkie, cops-sheriff-pi-bounty-hunters, m-m
Read in June, 2017

4.5 Stars!

Paralegal Gabe Maxfield moves from Seattle to Hawaii after his ex, Trevor, drains their account and cleans out their apartment. He is immediately pulled into a murder investigation after he and his best friend Grace discover the body of Grace's business partner on the floor of their Private Investigation office. Grace is soon arrested and put in jail leaving Gabe to find out who really killed Carrie and get Grace released. Luckily, he has the help of his neighbor, Detective Maka Kekoa, a man he is quickly falling for.

I'm very happy I had the chance to read this book because, honestly, I loved it. I found it a great combination of murder mystery, romance and humor. Gabe is witty and entertaining as he puts his amateur sleuthing skills to the test while tracking down Carrie's murderer. I loved the way he used his knowledge of the law to help when it came to the investigation, proving his worth to not only Maka but me as a reader as well.

Maka was a fun character to read about, too. I wasn't sure if I was going to like him at first but I quickly realized he was perfect for Gabe. He can be very assertive and almost standoffish at times but he was also funny and sweet with Gabe, as well. I loved that he never hid his feelings for Gabe with anyone in the story. Between the banter and the great chemistry, these two made a great team.

This is my first J.C. Long book and really enjoyed it. I think the story flowed well and it was fun and easy to read. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more about Gabe and Maka and hope this is just the start of a potentially great series. I definitely recommend Mai Tais and Murder.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mai Tais and Murder.

06/15 marked as: read