Somesuchlike's Reviews > The Dark Side of the Sun

The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: genre-sci-fi, genre-speculative-fiction, genre-comedy, author-terry-pratchett

I’m going to say what every other reviewer on this page has said: it’s really fascinating to see what Terry Pratchett was writing immediately pre-Discworld. There’s pre-echoes of Discworld all through The Dark Side of the Sun and even some echoes of The Long Earth, which he was also kicking about.

That said, I did try not to think about Discworld as I was reading, because it’s a novel in its own right, and a very enjoyable one. I had a lot of fun reading this! It’s not Pratchett at his best – it lacks the wit and elegance of his later novels, but it’s still Pratchett.

I do feel that most of the satire was probably lost on me, cause I don’t know all that much about contemporary sci-fi. There were, however, puns. They were very silly puns. I enjoyed them.

It’s also enormously creative. I’m happy to read a novel purely for the worldbuilding and the philosophy, so I had a great time reading this. Lots of planets, lots of very strange aliens. Right up my street.

I did find the ultimate resolution disappointing, but given what a silly book it is, I really shouldn’t have expected anything but nonsense.

Anyway: as I said, it’s not on the level of the best of Discworld, but it’s a fun little novel and I’d definitely recommend that Pratchett fans give it a read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Side of the Sun.

June 15, 2017 – Shelved