Gary Beauregard Bottomley's Reviews > Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth

Logicomix by Apostolos K. Doxiadis

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read February 21, 2018 to May 10, 2018.

For me, it's not the doing that interest me. It's the being and its intelligibility. The first half of this comic book bored me because it dealt with the particular, Bertrand Russell and his life and his actions and what was happening to him. The book barely held my interest in the first half.

The second half of the book hit its stride when it started dealing with ideas, the abstract and its relation to the concrete and concepts of the logical positivist and Wiggenstein and Godol. I’ll bet you there were thirty or so thought bubbles throughout the second half of the text that I could repeat after having read this book and for anyone who is not familiar with the logical positivists this book would be a great introduction.

I was struck by something I didn’t realize until I read this book. ‘Infinite Jest’ grabs onto the paradoxes highlighted with the second half of this comic book. David Foster Wallace also appeals to Kierkegaard which the logical positivist definitely do not.

Overall, there is enough substance to this book where I could recommend it to someone who is interested in the foundations of thought, mathematics, science and philosophy and has never cracked open the ‘Principia of Mathematics’ or has not read the ‘Tractatus’ or has not spent time treading Russell or has never read a book on the ‘Philosophy of Science’. So, I would say this comic book is a good place to start but is not a good place to end. I would be able to share this book with somebody, but only if I knew they weren't familiar with this kind of stuff, because there are clearly flaws within this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logicomix.

Finished Reading