Robert E. Kennedy Library 's Reviews > Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys over Girls and the Consequences of a World Full of Men

Unnatural Selection by Mara Hvistendahl

Aug 28, 2011

bookshelves: the-world-around-us
Read from August 28 to October 11, 2011

Imagine if every woman in America disappeared tomorrow. That would be 160 million people gone, off the face of the earth, in a blink of an eye. That is how many girls have disappeared from the world because of sex selection abortion and a world that favors males over females. This powerful book highlights the cultural reasons why families choose to abort their female fetuses and what affect that has on those countries, their neighbors and the rest of the world.

This should be read by all, but it has some pretty horrific accounts that will tug on your heart strings and make you want to puke all on the same page. I wish the author discussed the ramification of sex selection in greater detail in regards to the inevitable correlation to wars and conflicts but I loved that she pointed out that this wasn't just a women rights issues but a human rights issue. If something doesn't change the next endangered species will be women.

Order this book from Link+

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unnatural Selection.