Jonetta's Reviews > Now That You Mention It

Now That You Mention It by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, netgalley-arc, 12800-in-2018, 5000-books

Nora Stuart grew up on Scupper Island, Maine, a small island three miles from the state’s coast and was shaped by two major events in her life: her father’s departure when she was 12-years old and pretty awful high school years. Her salvation was winning a competitive scholarship only available to islanders that took her away from her hometown for the next 15 years, even though that came at a price. When she’s injured in an accident, Nora returns to Scupper to recuperate, facing a community who’s not necessarily receptive, a seemingly detached mother and her niece whose mother hasn’t wanted a relationship with her since their father left.

There’s so much I loved about this story. On the surface, Nora seems so well put together. She’s a successful doctor, has a loving boyfriend and has a sunny disposition. When a traumatic event robs her of that optimism about life, she’s forced to deal with her past and the people who actually shaped her. At first, I was leery about this character but the more I learned about her, the more I respected her bootstrapping approach to life. She has every reason to be vindictive but it never even occurs to her to take that path. There are some very strong themes that resonate loudly in this story that gave me pause, especially those about family loyalty. Nora certainly hung in there longer than I would have but her payoff for doing so was significant.

Higgins is an auto read author for me and I really am liking her shift to contemporary fiction. There are strong romantic elements here but that’s not the central theme. Nora’s resilience was inspiring and her commitment to the people in her life, even when they gave her every reason to bolt, provided me with teachable moments. Loved this story and couldn’t put it down.

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now That You Mention It.

June 15, 2017 – Shelved
June 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
August 25, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc
January 8, 2018 – Started Reading
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 12800-in-2018
January 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
January 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula Nice review, Jonetta!

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (new) - added it

Diane S ☔ Super review, I really enjoyed this.

Jonetta Paula wrote: "Nice review, Jonetta!"

Thank you, Paula!

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Super review, I really enjoyed this."

Thanks, Diane!

message 4: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Great review Jonetta!

Jonetta Thank you, Mary Beth!

Lynne Davis Excellent review Jonetta! I loved this one too!

Jonetta Thanks, Lynne! Wasn’t it a great story?

Lynne Davis Jonetta wrote: "Thanks, Lynne! Wasn’t it a great story?"

Loved it!

Monica I'm glad you loved this! I could not put it down once I started. The level of character growth was amazing. And I loved that the romance took a back seat to the heroine's self discovery. This is definitely in my top 3 of Higgins.

Jonetta That’s perfect, Monica! Couldn’t have said it better. It’s definitely in my top 5.

Monica Top 5 is probably more accurate for me, too. You know how much I love romance, so for a book to be a 5 star for me and the romance not be in the forefront is huge. Higgins can just do no wrong (excluding her first published book).

Jonetta Lol! I think I know which book you’re talking about...it was one you and Erin panned and I took a pass on because of that. Am I right?

Monica You are right, lol. But other than that book, she's gotten it right every time.

message 14: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Great review Jonetta - added it :)

Jonetta Thanks, Wendy! Have you read Higgins before?

message 16: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Jonetta wrote: "Thanks, Wendy! Have you read Higgins before?"

No I haven't but it looks like I should.

Jonetta You’d love some of her other books. I’ll send you some recommendations.

message 18: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Jonetta wrote: "You’d love some of her other books. I’ll send you some recommendations."

Got them - thanks so much :)

message 19: by Kristin (new) - added it

Kristin Thanks for a great review. This one sounds like one I would like: strong woman who copes with setbacks and romance that’s not the main thing. I have not read her before. Will try it!

Jonetta Thank you, Kristin!

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Came across this title in a AB blog & was happy to see such a high rating from you....so I added it 😉

Jonetta Yay! Hope you enjoy, Denise.

message 23: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Excellent review, Jonetta!! I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Jonetta Thank you, Julie!

Kris - My Novelesque Life Love your review (as always)!

Jonetta Thank you, Kris💜