Krystal's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS FOUL, ANGRY LANGUAGE. (WITH S**RS)

I'm just

SO.

F**KING.

CONFUSED.

WHAT THE FLIPPIN' HECK DID I JUST READ.

Honestly.

Alternative titles:
One Hundred Years of Reading You'll Never Get Back
One Hundred Years of Your LIFE You'll Never Get Back
Four Hundred and Twenty Two Pages of Monotony
Fifty Thousand Mentions of Two Names
A Cure for Insomnia

F**K THAT.

This is like ... you know how there's those jokes that go on and on and on and ON only to deliver a punch line that is so bad and unworthy that you just roll your eyes and groan?? THIS IS THAT.

I can't even deal with the fact that there are people in the world who LOVE this book.

Basically, it's about generation after generation after generation of the same family who all share the same name and it is F**KING CONFUSING. I know that's intentional and symbolic but it doesn't make this any less of a chore to read . It's also just walls of text from start to finish that meander and bumble along making very little sense. There's no flow or logic and it's all clearly intentional but that really doesn't help its case in my mind.JUST BECAUSE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DULL AND MONOTONOUS DOESN'T MEAN I'M GOING TO ENJOY READING THAT.

Add to that, the family is one heck of a f**ked up family and BATSH*T INSANE and it's JUST A MESS.

It practically begins with incest and keeps it up the whole way through; there's prostitution and murder and insanity and just basically everything that is wrong with the world can be found in this most disturbing book. 'Magical realism'?? I mean, what the f**k does that even mean?? How the ... f**king REALISM??? WTF???? And normally I don't mind a bit of f**ked up to keep things interesting but how can any book possibly include this much murder and depravity and STILL BE BORING??

Honestly, I feel like I need to Google to properly understand why so much depravity was included and why it's considered to be such genius, because sure, the ending is a little clever but it's certainly not enough to make up for wading through over 400 pages of this utter trash.

I just don't get it.

Clearly my IQ is too low for this "Masterpiece of Literature"; this book is officially the most overrated classic I've ever read in my life.

I hated it so much I tried to make it a group read so I could share the pain and torture XD I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING.

Conclusion:
I did not like this book very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

June 15, 2017 – Shelved
June 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 23, 2017 – Shelved as: classics
October 23, 2017 – Shelved as: literary-fiction
October 23, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
January 5, 2019 – Started Reading
January 9, 2019 –
page 72
17.06% "This is so random? I mean, it kinda feels like it might be exploring Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs but so far we're still at the very bottom of the pyramid. It's very ... biological."
January 19, 2019 –
page 106
25.12% "Have officially hit struggletown. What a disappointment this has turned out to be!"
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: disappointments
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: misleading-blurbs
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: prize-winners
January 19, 2019 – Shelved as: struggletown
January 29, 2019 –
page 124
29.38% "Can anyone give me a solid reason why I shouldn't DNF this coz it's killing me slowly."
January 29, 2019 –
page 247
58.53% "Giving myself a solid pat on the back for persevering with this one, even though it's still such a drainer. Apparently the kicker is the ending and I swear to god IT BETTER BE WORTH IT"
February 8, 2019 –
page 298
70.62% "This book stinks. Literally, as well as figuratively. No new book smell for this piece of garbage. HOW VERY APPROPRIATE."
February 12, 2019 –
page 329
77.96% "I HAVE LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED PAGES TO GO PRAISE THE LORD"
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: kinky-af
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: utter-trash
February 16, 2019 – Shelved as: wtf-just-happened
February 16, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2020 – Shelved as: savage-reviews

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Group read - LOL

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone Good review. I try to steer clear of anything that sizzles my brain, so thank you for your bravery and persistence.

Krystal Andrea wrote: "Group read - LOL"

It lost to Little Women lol. Lucky group!

Krystal Alex wrote: "Good review. I try to steer clear of anything that sizzles my brain, so thank you for your bravery and persistence."

Haha if by my pain I can spare others, then I am glad to help. XD

PattyMacDotComma I enjoyed your review even though I loved the book At least you're honest, Krystal. Here's what I thought, if you're interested enough. I did include an illustration of a family tree that I found really helpful when I was reading it.

Krystal PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I enjoyed your review even though I loved the book At least you're honest, Krystal. Here's what I thought, if you're interested enough. I did include an illustration of a family tree that I found r..."

There were bits and pieces that I found intriguing and some of the language was really beautiful but ultimately it just did my head in. I like the illustration you found, though! I imagine that would help immensely while reading!

PattyMacDotComma Krystal wrote: "PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I enjoyed your review even though I loved the book At least you're honest, Krystal. Here's what I thought, if you're interested enough. I did include an illustration of a f..."

Don't worry, it did my head in a fair bit, but I still loved it!

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Anze I had to read 'Love in the Time of Cholera' in highschool and I did not not like that book at all. I recall my teacher saying that she wanted to choose One Hundred Years of Solitude but it was going to be too confusing. Judging by your review, she was right.

Krystal Stephanie wrote: "I had to read 'Love in the Time of Cholera' in highschool and I did not not like that book at all. I recall my teacher saying that she wanted to choose One Hundred Years of Solitude but it was goin..."

It's definitely not something students should be reading because they have to! Incredibly confusing and bland!

message 10: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Loved reading your review Krystal, lol!

Krystal Tracey Allen wrote: "Loved reading your review Krystal, lol!"

Thanks Tracey! I maybe got a little bit savage XD

message 12: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum Krystal wrote: "Thanks Tracey! I maybe got a little bit savage XD"

Probably why I loved it! I haven't read this, but I love a savage review of a classic now and then ;-)