Mike's Reviews > The Baker Street Letters

The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson

Aug 28, 2011

liked it

Not bad for a mystery. I ran across the audio version of the second book in this series and grabbed this one to catch up. I'll be honest, I only read it because the author is a Boilermaker, like me. But, whatever gets somebody to read, right?

That said, I normally steer clear of Sherlock Holmes pastiches. What a pleasant surprise to discover this is not a Holmes pastiche. The premise is that this barrister moves his office into 221B Baker Street and as a result, people write letters to Sherlock Holmes asking him to solve cases, among other things. And then the rest is more or less straightforward mystery.

I'm not a huge mystery fan, but I like the occasional one, and this one was an entertaining and fun, light read. A found a few situations a little unrealistic, I just didn't see some of the characters, or any person of the intelligence of the people in this book, actually making some of the decisions they end up making. But it's a minor complaint.

This is a fun, quick, book-to-read-between-books read. And it was engaging enough to continue with the second book, "The Brothers of Baker Street," which I am so far enjoying even more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker Street Letters.