C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Burning Maze

The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2018, young-adult, ya-without-romance, ya-male-narrators, magical-fantasy, retelling

My first question is: HOW DARE YOU. I should have more to say in this review but ajfkdsla I really want to leave it at that. I am in PAIN. I swear this is probably the most gutting Riordan book I've read so far????? I'm desperately hoping #4 rectifies some OBVIOUS TYPOS that this one left. Because...

nonono

First off, I do admit I don't remember the first 2 books very well. Awkward pause. I'm definitely going to do a full series reread before #4 comes out. But I caught up pretty quick that we're looking for oracles (dunno why) so Apollo can get to be a god again (again, not sure why he isn't a god now) and he's enslaved to Meg (which I still feel dubious about because if the genders were swapped on that, it'd be very inappropriate? but anyway). I also am a little pissed at how often Apollo bemoans he's flabby and ugly. I GET that he does this because he's vain, but I do hope he'll learn to accept Lester's body soon? Because idk peoples pls dial back on the body shaming.

ANYWAY! Everything else?! SO MUCH LOVE. I felt the pacing was great for this one, the action scenes are always engaging, and the tension and stakes were SO FRIKKIN' HIGH. It was so intense. They basically only got to sleep twice and eat a few cheese enchiladas?! Feed my poor children pls.

We also get the return of Piper and Jason! They play a pretty huge roll (Leo isn't much in this one till the end). I loooove how characters from the previous series return. Also Grover! He's a big starring character.

And oh yeah that little part where...IT RIPPED OUT MY HEART. I was not expecting it and am nottttt okKkkKKKK. (view spoiler)

Also I can never grow out of Riordan books and this pleases me immensely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Maze.

June 15, 2017 – Shelved
June 15, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2018 – Started Reading
November 3, 2018 –
page 81
17.92% "omg I do not remember book 2 at ALL why is my brain like this 😭😭why are series so hard"
November 3, 2018 –
page 308
68.14% "what??!?!
whAAAT?!?!?
THAT DEATH BETTER BE A FRIKKIN TYPO"
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
November 4, 2018 – Shelved as: retelling
November 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Pseudonym And like Rick Riordan already broke our heart with the breakup, we didnt need him to die!?!

C.G. Drews @Pseudonym: I had to delete your first comment because of the spoiler. Can you go back and edit your above comment to have spoiler tags please?

Dakota★Magic in Every Book Its really amusing because some fans were complaining how no one ever died so it took away from the story that Rick saved everyone but now he done killed somebody and everyones like THIS WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA 😂

Pseudonym Omg i am so sorry, i was using the app on my phone and i completely forgot about it. I AM GENUINELY SO SORRY!!

Ritta I feel you so much!!!! This was heartbreaking, I want a do over =(

Abigail McKenna I finished this like "I am EMOTIONAL and I am SAD and I am OFFENDED i hate everyone but Grover" xD I had just come off of rereading HOO and the other TOA books too though so...

Candlewick Books I thought I was gonna skip this series, but I clicked on the spoiler and now I have to read it. WHAT HAVE I DONT TO MYSELF??????? Great review, tho!!!!!

message 8: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Mortensen I actually started this one during a reading slump but I didn't finish it. It feels like Apollo takes a step back in his progress towards becoming a good person at the beginning of each book. Thank you for that spoiler! I have to prepare for these things ahead of time.

Nita Pan I'm still in denial over a certain event in this book. Really, I'm convinced that it's actually a fan fiction and we'll get the real book #3 soon.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Emma: Sorry I deleted your comment because of the spoiler! Please use spoiler tags! :)

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Nita: I'M NOT GOING TO BE OK EVER. It has to be reversed right????

@Molly: aw I guess not every series works for everyone! I adore every page of these though haah.

@CandlewickBooks: noooooo now you will know the suffering that is to come!

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Dakota: omg a big reason I love these is because they're fun and I don't have to stress 😭😭now i will have to stress forever. MY SAFE PLACE IS GONE. 😂

@Psuedoynm: That's ok!

@Ritta: I'm so freaking devastated aghagaoshg

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Abigail: I want to go back and reread all of HOO now!!