Richard Radgoski's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Aug 28, 2011

bookshelves: space-opera, sci-fi
Read from July 20 to August 28, 2011

I picked this partly on a whim as Borders began It's wholesale liquidation and partly because GRR Martin endorsed it. I was worried as i dug deeper (after purchase) i found that there was a deeper relationship and hoped it just wasn't just covering for a friend. Shouldn't have worried. It was excellent. Not reading Science Fiction much lately, I didn't know what to expect. What I got was an excellent story with two primary POVs threading alternating chapters. When the characters were far apart, it was very much like Martins POV style, but I was extremely surprised at how adept the story transitioned from one chapter and POV to another when they were in the same locale.

For example. One chapter ends with Miller's perspective and he states "Holden, we have a problem.". The text leading to this is all Miller's thoughts and perspective. The next chapter starts "actually, i think we sort of figured out how to solve the problem.". Now this chapter flips the perspective of the characters and we see the events from the other set of eyes. Adeptly done, especially since Miller and Holden are different types of characters. Holden is a good stand up kind of guy who is thrust into events outside of his control. He does the right thing that causes events to spiral out of control. Miller is a cop on a belter station. He is a solid if nothing special guy who has an assignment that involves him on the events as they begin to spiral. Ultimately, the two do meet, giving way to the nifty mechanic ides robed above.

I also enjoyed the story itself. I liked the over arching themes and tensions. It is a possible thing Thayer could spread throughout our galaxy but not beyond...and humans being humans will come to blows eventually. The backdrop of this story are the inner planets vs the outer beltway folks. Wonderfully envisioned story.

Ultimately, I wanted to find out what was gonna happen next...I needed know....and that's the way I like my books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.

Jason Lancaster I also got this as part of a Borders liquidation :)