Steven's Reviews > A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Jun 22, 2017

bookshelves: mainstream

I came across A Man Called Ove while browsing Audible.com, not looking for anything in particular. The reviews were good, so I gave it a try. I'm glad I did. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's a strong character study about an old Swedish curmudgeon who learns to love before it's too late.

Ove has always been a man of few words, like his father before him. He worked hard until he was told to retire, and now all he has to keep him going is making sure his unruly neighbors are following all the rules of their neighborhood association, something Ove helped establish before he was deposed as the leader of that by his former friend Rune, who now suffers Alzheimer's. When a lanky man, his head-strong Iranian wife, and their two daughters move in next door, and an almost-hairless beat-up cat decides to adopt Ove, well, his life has to change. For instance, he can't seem to find the time to kill himself to join his wife in the afterlife.

The book made me smile several times. Fredrik Backman had Ove determine a lot about people by the cars they drove. That was kind of nice, but not being very familiar with Saabs and Volvos, it didn't mean a whole lot to me. I assume it would be like me driving a Ford and thinking Chevy people are defective.

By far, my favorite character was Parvenah, the Iranian neighbor. She caught on to what Ove was up to and, instead of confronting him about it, did what a smart woman who understands people would do. That's really the strength of this book, the interaction between the characters and how they understand and relate to one another.

I had a little trouble with the ending. The bit with the journalist and the others confronting the man in the white shirt was, I thought, a little too coincidental. But really, it wasn't enough to spoil a very good story.

The audio was extremely well done, too.

It's a really good book. I recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man Called Ove.

June 14, 2017 – Started Reading
June 14, 2017 – Shelved
June 14, 2017 – Shelved as: mainstream
June 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Vicky (new)

Vicky N. Great review Steven! Been hearing about this book for a while and it sounds interesting.

Steven I was still thinking about it a few days after finishing it, so that's a good sign. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.