Angela's Reviews > Penpal

Penpal by Dathan Auerbach

bookshelves: dark, psychological-thriller, horror, clever, mystery

So, every time I try to explain that I like horror, I feel like I have to clarify that I mean GOOD horror, as in smart, clever, primal horror with good writing as opposed to graphic blood-and-guts crap. And I think this book fits that, or at least, it's kind of a hybrid between good horror and a psychological thriller.

The story is told in the first person by a man who has gone back and pieced together a number of strange and disturbing moments of his life to try to understand the pattern that emerges. Each chapter functions like a bit of a puzzle piece, and since the pieces are not always presented chronologically, sometimes we get echoes or foreshadowing of other pieces. We also get brief flashes of conversations with his (single) mother about some of these moments, and her words and reactions add tot he puzzle. Almost nothing is made explicit, but the puzzle pieces themselves are creepy enough that sometimes I didn't want to read it alone at night (rare) and as the book and chapter go on and the larger implicit story began to take shape, I was like "OH SHIIIIT I do not want to read the end of this book alone." Creepy, clever perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penpal.

Started Reading