Sarah Laurence's Reviews > The Unlikelies

The Unlikelies by Carrie Firestone

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, ya-fiction

4.5 stars. Kindness is an underrated virtue in Young Adult fiction. It's wonderful to have a book about teens who try to right the wrongs in their community both on and offline. I especially enjoyed how the kids shut down trolls by posting positive comments. The subplot about trying to save an addict was a bit of a stretch, but it was a useful plot device to bring their deeds to a wider audience. It was a nice change to see ethnic characters acting as saviors instead of victims. The teen voices sounded genuine and there was a sweet romance. If this book encourages more kindness in the world, it will be a success. Teens need role models like these diverse kids.

My only criticism is that the kids, especially Gordie, seemed a bit too good to be true, which gave the story an after-school-special vibe. A bit more strife amongst group members over whom to aid and more troubles achieving their goals would have been more realistic. The power/funds could corrupt someone. Parents and authority figures could be roadblocks. Setbacks and danger would speed the pace too. Perhaps in the sequel?

I would also recommend Firestone's debut, The Loose Ends List, which is one of my favorite YA novels, with more humor and irreverence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikelies.

June 14, 2017 – Started Reading