Anna's Reviews > The Neverending Story

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

F 50x66

Even though two stars seems low, GoodReads states that as "It was OK" which I will stand by. I will also admit to not finishing it. I've had this book in hardcover for about twenty-five years--I could never get through it as a high school student and I've tried a couple of times since and I still can't. The book itself is beautiful, with its two-color print and grand illustrations at the beginning of each chapter. I remember as a young person thinking it was difficult to really get into--it always felt a bit clinical and distant, and then I read somewhere that it was really more of an adult book with a kids' look. As an adult I don't find it any easier to read, and now as a better-read human I see that the problem could be the translation, or it could be just not-very-good writing, as far as adults go. For kids, they could probably overlook the stilted and awkward dialogue and over-described character reactions, but as an adult it's painful to read. I'm surprised at how many positive reviews I've found of this, but given how horribly written so much popular literature is I guess I shouldn't be. I'm not sure what the target age range is, but it's a hard read for really young people, and it seems to move out of the interest range by the time someone is old enough to appreciate and absorb it.
[image error]

I will still hang onto my copy. Perhaps my daughters will someday enjoy it. But I think I can finally accept that I will never get through it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neverending Story.

Finished Reading