J.P. Wright's Reviews > Karl Drinkwater’s Horror Collection

Karl Drinkwater’s Horror Collection by Karl Drinkwater

In 'Turner' the author offers us a take on the 'tourists set upon by weird locals' sub-genre that is at the same time thoughtful and gruesome. A careful setting up pays off when later in the story the action is cranked up: our credulity is not stretched too far; the character's actions, for good and ill, are justified. I often have issues with the universal composure and resourcefulness of both heroes and villains in fiction. There is a bit of that here, but efforts are made to undermine it too.
'They Move Below' is a collection of short stories, loosely woven together by prologue and epilogue, that put me in mind of nothing so much as a new collection of Tales of the Unexpected, written by Dahl in a very dark mood. Than this, there is no higher praise. The great benefit of a bunch of short sharp shocks like this is that there is something for every fear. A little claustrophobic? Try holding your breath through 'Claws Truth Forebear' Parent issues, spiders, drowning? Dr Drinkwater has some medicine for you. As with Turner, it is not just about the horror - there is thought here too, and curdled humour.
'Harvest Festival' is a brilliantly executed alien/home-invasion. Horror and sci-fi meet and are stitched together in a welsh village. It does not take long to get going, and when it does the action is relentless. There is, as the hero complains, not enough time: though it probably benefits from its tight focus, I would not have minded at all if it had been longer. Well done author: always leave 'em wanting more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Karl Drinkwater’s Horror Collection.

Finished Reading