Nadine Keels's Reviews > The Calling of Emily Evans

The Calling of Emily Evans by Janette Oke

Jun 15, 2017

Read 2 times. Last read June 14, 2017 to June 15, 2017.

Prairie settlements are in need of mission workers for local churches, and in Bible school, Emily responds to the call. Desiring to be a wife and mother someday, she imagines she'll be ministering alongside a preaching husband. However, with no potential husband in sight, Emily decides what's nearly unthinkable: she'll head out to open a church on her own in The Calling of Emily Evans, a novel by author Janette Oke.

This is at least the third time I've read this novel. It's the first in one of my all-time favorite series, Women of the West, by one of my all-time favorite authors. The book spoke to me on a number of levels when I read it years ago, witnessing the obstacles a young woman faces when she takes a different path than people expect.

Sure, the book has got some of the common things I've never been fond of in these novels. Sentences with too many dashes as the heroine frequently stammers over her words. Tears in her eyes so often that they lose their effect and cease to be interesting.

Yet, even with the overused stammers and tears, Emily is a strong heroine. Not because she feels strong or because she's out to prove herself to everybody. No, she's out to be of service. She doesn't back away from hard work. Her determination springs from caring about people, and she continues to care even when she doesn't have all the answers.

Even as my perspective shifts and expands over the years, this is still the kind of novel I could read over again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Calling of Emily Evans.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
October 5, 2010 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites (Other Paperback Edition)
August 15, 2014 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites (Other Paperback Edition)
June 14, 2017 – Started Reading